Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Breakin' Legs
On tap for today: I'm still looking at the Reader's website and seeing what looks like interesting job opportunities. I'm also trying to get this apartment cleaned... I was talking to Adam about it last night and I think it's more about wanting to have a place to take Kim (should things actually go that well for once), than wanting this place to be cleaned weeks in advance for Ken. Sorry Ken. I hope to make significant strides with the cleaning project, especially since I'm finally done pulling out old home movies and quietly weeping to them (which didn't happen... the weeping bit, not the watching movies bit. I did that).
I also came up with an idea for a show the other day. I've wanted, for a long time, to write a one-man show about sanity and the perception of who is sane, what is insane, who is dangerously insane, etc. This springs forth from the loins of my horrific firing experience. But I finally decided that a one-man show is too heavy, and is what N. Matthew would call "self-indulgent bullshit." BUT, if it wasn't a one-man show... but rather was a collection of characters of different time periods, with different relationships, from different points-of-view... now I'm onto something. An unmarried 30-something woman goes home to a family that pushes her to get married; a witch trial of someone who just flat-out knows science; a moral man in an immoral society; some everyday American customs personified by someone stuck on an alien planet... the possibilities seem far more limitless, and I feel like the topic is something worth while. I was thinking about this when I got an email from my friend Katy who said she's still "looking for something to do." We were both in Mockupations together and she and I talked about both wanting to do a show with some real and deep meaning to it. I think exploring sanity is something that hasn't been done on the small stage in a while, and certainly not in the way I would do it. (Although I'm also thinking about trying to write a novel about two characters who take a road-trip out west and find themselves... so we'll see how much of this I actually get done [my guess is none]).

Today in the Reader I found an Administrative Assistant position for a place called Digital Bootcamp. I just finished their application which had interesting questions such as asking how many levels of persuasion I would go through to persuade someone who I knew to be wrong about how cranberries are harvested. Yeah. I said I'd go through four levels: "I would use my logic to try to persuade them; then I would ask a passer-by; then I would tell them to look it up; then I would try to look it up myself. So, four levels before I drop it." As part two of that question, it asked me what I would do if I found an article two weeks later that proved I was right. Here's my response to that: "I would show my acquaintance the article, watch them read it (to make sure they know the truth), gloat for approximately 10 seconds, then drop it completely. Although, if the person was particularly mean or rude about being 'right' in the first place and it got personal, I'd probably gloat in excess of five or six minutes. I'm only human." What a cool place to have questions like that on the application! So I'm pretty pumped about that whole thing... and it would be working in a place that focuses on TEACHING! One of my two wants! This company teaches people how to use different software applications from the basics (Mac, Windows, email, etc), to the more complicated (like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and some bunch of letters smashed together that doesn't mean anything to me, but I'm sure they mean something to someone). I'm kind of excited about that whole thing. I hope I can get an interview, at the very least. I know they would love me, if I got that far... it's just making myself look good enough to warrant an interview. *shrug* So we'll see about that. I told them I would be interested in instructing eventually if I learned enough about the applications they taught.
But, oddly enough, the application was so unusual, and took so much mental exertion, that I actually feel tired. I might take a nap. What a super-huge loser I am!

By the way, it's opening night in Albion for Cabaret. Miss Laura Jeannine is making the trip from Wisconsin (good for her). I hope she drives carefully. And I hope everyone in that show breaks legs! Lots and lots of legs and cliched jokes... I hope they're all broken tonight. Right.

No comments: