Sunday, March 19, 2006

PERSONAL Movin On Up
Saturday afternoon, I received a phone call from the company that manages my apartment building. I didn't answer because I didn't recognize the number. The person who called left a message about how someone was interested in seeing my apartment, and would it be possible to come up Sunday at 1. As such, I spent much of Saturday cleaning, packing, and moving things around in my apartment. I ended up calling the leasing agent back and the woman cancelled on him--so no viewing of the apartment Sunday--but I think that scare was exactly what I needed to get my move kick-started.
I've got more boxes than I know what to do with... I've got stuff all over the place... yet my apartment looks cleaner than it has in a year or more. There was just too much stuff in this apartment for the space. And I fear the same thing will happen when I move into Chelsey's. For just her stuff, her apartment is huge... but, for both of us, I fear her apartment is not going to be large enough. We'll have five months of "uncomfortable" living until we can find an apartment big enough for both of us. And I am slightly annoyed by the thought that I'm just going to have to pack everything up again in about four months... especially considering that it's going to take me probably a good couple of weeks before I'm going to feel comfortable with all my loot in her place. As such, we're talking about a three month period where I have my stuff at Chelsey's and I feel comfortable with where everything is. Oh of course it's worth it. Yeah Chelsey's!

SPORTS Brackets Are Busted: The Dust Settles On Rounds One And Two
This past weekend was the first weekend of "March Madness." There are but sixteen teams left... and those teams are sweet. Cheesy? I can never tell.
Regardless, I was fortunate enough to have basketball on this weekend whilst packing and cleaning. You know what's coming... a break-down of what I think will happen in the games next weekend. Let's take a look at the brackets!

Atlanta
Duke/LSU: I have to admit two things about this game--1) Even though I saw Duke in the regular season and their conference tournament, I haven't seen Duke in this tourney and; 2) I'm kind of a Duke fan. I like Duke. I've liked Duke since I was young. I like Coach Krzyzewski... and have liked Duke because of him ever since I can remember. I saw some of the LSU/Texas A&M game... and LSU is lucky to be here. Even though I don't think Duke is strong enough to make it all the way, I'll take Duke here.

West Virginia/Texas: I have to admit something else--I am a West Virginia fan. I started following this team in last year's NCAA's... and have rooted for them all season. I'm taking W. Virginia... for no other reason than I'm rooting for a team of (basically) white guys.

Duke/West Virginia: If West Virginia is hitting their threes--they're hard to beat. Same for Duke. If this is actually the match-up (warning: Wussing out ahead!), I'm not going to care who wins... I like both teams. With West Virginia's paint scoring in question, however, I'll take Duke.

Oakland
Memphis/Bradley: I have yet to be impressed by Memphis. But they're deep. And three things will bring your team deep in the NCAAs every year--1) Great/Consistent/Smart guard play; 2) Consistent threes; 3) Deep benches. Memphis should, unfortunately, handle Bradley here... too bad for the underdogs from Peoria (O'Bryant really impressed).

Gonzaga/UCLA: This might be the best match-up of the sweet sixteen. I saw Gonzaga beat Indiana pretty much sans Adam Morrison. Granted, I don't think Indiana is all that great, but it proved to everyone that Gonzaga can win without Morrison scoring a billion points. Unfortunately for them, I think UCLA is too talented--top to bottom--to be beaten. I've got UCLA.

Memphis/UCLA: Memphis is deep, but UCLA is too... plus UCLA will hit more threes, and should outlast Memphis. UCLA ends up where they seem to belong--the Final Four.

Washington D.C.
UConn/Washington: I have to admit that I don't want to root for Washington because they beat my Fightin' Illini. However, Washington clawed their way back in that game and that will be important against UConn. UConn will go up big in this game, but Washington won't go away. Unfortunately for Washington (and as evident by the UConn game Sunday), UConn will outlast them. UConn will win this game. I saw the UConn/Kentucky game... when UConn is focused, they are too deep and talented to be beaten. What trips UConn up is when they get a big lead... their focus waivers and they let the lead slip. UConn won't lose their focus, because Washington will stay in their face... so UConn will win this one.

George Mason/Wichita State: I'm surprised that George Mason beat MSU (didn't see that game)... but I did see most of the GM/UNC game and am not surprised George Mason won. GM's defense was amazing... but I kept expecting them to not be able to score--then they passed it inside, or got to the line, or hit a long three... and they kept scoring. It was amazing! I have not seen Wichita, but if they can stop GM from scoring, they'll win. I am, however, taking George Mason in this one, if only because they've beaten both MSU and UNC... so Wichita should be easy by comparison.

UConn/George Mason: It almost doesn't matter who wins the GM/Wich St game because the UConn/Wash winner will be better than both teams. Look for UConn to advance.

Minneapolis
Villanova/Boston College: Villanova has yet to impress me. Boston College I haven't seen in this tourney... but I've seen them before this season. They DO impress me. Craig Smith, in particular, impressed me. Boston College too big and strong... and out-muscle the smaller Nova line-up. BC in this one.

Florida/Georgetown: I think this is an interesting match-up because I don't think either team (Florida playing S. Alabama then Wisconsin-Milwaukee AND Georgetown playing Northern Iowa and Ohio State) has really been tested. Florida in particular looks like they're not even really trying. Georgetown beat a supremely over-rated Ohio State team... but I don't think they're athletic enough to beat this Florida team. I've got Florida.

BC/Florida: Even though Florida is talented, I think BC is more talented. I've got BC... Yes, it's that simple. If Nova beats BC, I think THEY beat Florida. Basically, I feel that the winner of the Nova/BC game is better than the Florida/GTown winner and will then be headed to the Final Four.

No comments: