Thursday, April 26, 2007

Riddle Me This...

Hello people inside the internets. Let me walk you through a mental exercise. Picture a round food... pizza, cake, pie--anything round and edible will do. Now cut that aforementioned round food so that you may share and consume it. Let me ask you, dear reader, how were those pieces cut? Did you cut that round object into squares? NO, BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE STUPID! So riddle me this, dear readers, why do pizza places in Chicago INSIST on cutting their pizzas into squares?!?! SQUARES... and it's a ROUND PIZZA! I can understand cutting a square pizza into squares, but a round one?! Ludicrous!

The specific square cut is called a "party cut" and is used to allow people to more easily share pizzas with large groups of people. However, when you're not sharing the pizza with anyone, it makes no sense. What brought this irritant to my attention was when Chelsey and I went to a local bar on a Saturday afternoon to have a leisurely lunch. We were killing some time in between two of Chelsey's time commitments up in Wrigleyville, so we decided to order a pizza and wait for it. The bar was NOT BUSY (we were one table of about three that were occupied) so our waitress knew that the pizza was going to only two people. Yet, when we got the pizza, there it was... cut into squares. How lame are square pizza slices? You get some slices with no crust, so the toppings and cheese flows all over your hands as you try to get it... and then you get four slices on the corners that are all crust and then one bite of the toppings. What moron decided that this was the most efficient way to slice a pizza? Why aren't there more people complaining about this? Now I have to make sure that when I order pizza in Chicago I have to ask for "not-square" slicing? Ahh... convenience.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I prefer square cut pizza. Call me crazy.