Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Excuses To Go To GR Start Now... AND The SC Resolution You've Been Awaiting
Tuesday, May 24th
Our official 1-Day Anniversary called for a celebration, so I delayed my trip back to Chicago long enough to stop in GR for an extended lunch. I picked Chelsey up at her house and we headed to Max and Erma's (our unofficial restaurant... even though Chelsey only likes two things on the menu). We met C Dub's good friend, Heather, and proceeded to have a lengthy discussion about whether or not some douche bag likes her. What I got from the conversation: He sounded like he doesn't; he sounded like a big D; Heather is a very nice person. It was nice to be able to meet one of Chelsey's friends from home and to be liked by aforementioned person. It felt as though one of my hurdles was already... hurdled. What else does one do to a hurdle?
After lunch, we took a lazy stroll around Woodland mall... simply enjoying the company for as long as we could. And, far too late in the evening, I ended up leaving for Chicago.
Wednesday, May 25th
When I finally got back to Chicago after a very long England trip and an extended weekend in various Rapids, I found an email from my previous SC instructor waiting for me. Tim emailed me the day before the audition to let me know that I had done everything I needed to do, and that there shouldn't be any problem getting me into Level 2. This just upset me greatly... so I very politely emailed him back to ask him what I had done wrong, what I should have done differently, and if he could tell me why they decided not to let me into Level 2.
Then Keith came over to my place for the first time (he came into town because of class, but realized we didn't have class that week), and we proceeded to leave my building to head up to IO to see some shows. On the way out of my building, he and I helped an old woman to get up a step, through a gate, and down the other steps. I'm not exactly sure why I'm telling you this... but maybe because I want you to know that not everyone in big cities are heartless and without feelings. There are good people everywhere, even if some might be hiding.
So Keith and I ended up at IO to see a couple of shows with Adam... and in one of the shows, they pulled a member of the audience up to the stage. They asked that person (who was a very large, semi-Irish looking man) what his day was like. He proceeded to tell them about a day which was very much like my own days... waking up late, doing jack shit during the day (he even was drinking in a bar before the show)... and then they asked him what he does for a living. His response? He's an actor. He's in Defending The Caveman. You know that show I auditioned for and didn't get the part in? Yeah... that's because this guy got the part. He looked more the part of Neanderthalic caveman than I do (I'm far too cute)... and I was both jealous of him, and happy I wasn't in that stupid (yes, stupid) show. The groups behind him than sat him down and proceeded to reenact his entire day in a hilarious and mocking way. I was then glad of two things: A) I didn't get cast in that show; B) I wasn't Chris [the guy].
I then stuck around to see the TJ and Dave show. Now I have seen TJ Jagdowski twice in my life... and I must say that he is the best improviser I have ever seen. Everything he does is pure GOLD... and I would love to be able to watch him work every single night. Also, from what I hear, he's one of the nicest guys ever... and he's a really involved and interested teacher, too. It was the second time I've seen that show, and Dave is also amazing. They are both incredible... and I would see that show every week if it was less expensive (or if I was making money). They even, get this, started the show with their backs to the audience as if they were in a theatre waiting for a show to start themselves. And it was brilliant. Positively brilliant! I loved it!
And that was the end of that night. I suppose I should resolve the Second City class issue right now, because I don't know when else I would get to it. Tim emailed me back within a day or two to let me know that there had been a mistake and that he would try to fix it. He then emailed me back again to let me know to call the office because I was all set. A few days go by and I actually call SC... sign up for my normal Thursday night class... and it was as if none of this bad stuff had ever happened. A few more days go by and I email Tim to let him know that I was all set, and to thank him for working so hard at getting everything settled. Apparently Tim took exception to the "thank you" email taking so long to get to him, because he's been giving me crap (playful crap, but that's still crap) about it ever since. One time I saw him and he asked me: "Is everything okay, Mr. Steeno? Can I get you anything, Mr. Steeno? Do you need anything, Mr. Steeno?" Which I just played along with ("Have a fiver, Timmy, and get a little something for yourself")... but which secretly hurt me. I HAD thanked him... and I was honestly very grateful for what he had done for me... but I can't go back in time and thank him right away, or else I would. What an immature response to my situation! I love the guy to death but, please... I damn near got shafted by the training center and no one would have been the wiser had I not said anything. Additionally! I had the latter half of my England trip almost ruined by the news that I didn't make it into Level 2. So, excuse me... but there's no reason to be pety about this. *sigh* I just want to learn and be good at whatever it is that I'm doing... I hate (HATE) gossip and politics, and I know it will but hope it won't follow me to wherever I go from here.

No comments: