Friday, June 16, 2006

PERSONAL 24 Little Hours
What a difference a day makes. Wednesday was such a hard day for me: a day where nothing seemed to be going right. Then Thursday came. And Thursday was a nice change in perspective: I was able to finish a fifteen minute workout in the morning; I ate good, healthy meals all day; and, most importantly, I have a lead on a job. I would be working from home (bonus!) and I would basically be categorizing mathematics problems into what the problem actually tests the students--for middle school-aged students. I would be using about a hundred standards for learning mathematics and seeing which apply to the math problems I was given. Did I mention I could work from home? I just recently realized how huge that is for me. I would prefer not to have to work with other people because they drain my energy (and that's less energy I have for the actual work). My mom would say that it's a shame I don't work with people because I have a way with people. A certain charm, a certain charisma... that makes irresistible. But my mom's not here, is she?! Ahh ha ha haaaa!!!
I also had another BR show Thursday night. The review was about an absurdist dark comedy... and I think we played the genre fairly well, even though I'm not a fan of absurdist work. I am just learning that it's difficult to keep each scene consistently funny with our form. We're so busy pushing the plot that we sometimes forget to make people laugh. This is why I like playing the swing (or various) characters. If I'm playing various characters, my goal on stage is to further plot and to get the laughs. Sometimes the director calls this "bits"--if you're not furthering the plot and just trying to get laughs then you're doing "bits." She sees this as a bad thing... but I don't necessarily agree. If you don't have any "bits"... if the show becomes plot, plot, and more plot... then it's not as interesting to the audience as it could be (if you threw in a joke... say anything about blonde neuro-surgeons or the Miami Dolphins). As such, last night I was a swing (various) character and my goal on stage was to give the audience a laugh when the plot got a little heavy. "We're going to do this and this and this," someone would say; and I would respond with "Jokey joke joke." Maybe I exaggerated a little just there, that's not how it happened. That's not what they would say, they would say something that made sense in context... but that is actually a quote of what I said. At the very least, the show went better than the sock puppet Shakespeare. And isn't that all for which we can ask (besides excellent grammar)?

No comments: