Friday, February 03, 2006

FOOTBALL Super-Weekend And A Crazy Pick
This weekend is Superbowl XL (that means forty!). The experts seem to all be picking the Steelers. That's certainly a great pick, after the run the Steelers have had in the playoffs. But here's what I think. I think that the two weeks off have actually HURT the Steelers and helped the Seahawks. The Steelers were on such an unbelievable run at the end of the year because they NEEDED every game... every snap of every game was important. But the Steelers have had two weeks to let the hype catch up with them. They've had two weeks to think "what if we DO win?" They've had two weeks to hear everyone tell them they're the best... but they haven't been playing football. If the Superbowl had been last week, with the Steelers in such a rhythm, Pittsburgh would have won handily. But the rhythm is gone. And, additionally!, the pace of the Superbowl is different. You can't pound a team into submission in the Superbowl... there are two many commercials (special thanks to Eric Allen for pointing this out). The pace of the game favors speed over strength... and, from what I can gather, the Seahawks have amazing speed on defense. Additionally, Detroit is a dome stadium with that synthetic turf and, last time I checked, Seattle plays on turf while Pitt plays on grass. Turf, again, favors speed over strength. As such, if the Seahawks are really as fast as they seem... I think they pull off a Superbowl upset. It will be a close Seattle win (unless Pitt blows them out, which is also a possibility). Let me say this... if Pitt scores the first 10 or 14, they'll win. BUT, if Seattle scores first or keeps it close, I think they pull this game out. And I think they will (but I'll be rooting for my Irish Bettis and the Steelers).
FOOTBALL Is Clinton Portis Handicapable? I Mean, Seriously... ?
On occasion I watch ESPN2s Cold Pizza. On Friday's show--the pre-Superbowl show--Portis was interviewed and asked for his Superbowl pick. Clinton came out as three different characters, each more stupid than the last... and ended up picking both teams to win. This is nothing new for Portis, who would dress up as a different character each Thursday to be interviewed by the media. I never saw those interviews, but thought the idea was cute but lame. Now, having heard him in character, I wonder about his mental capacity. As one of his characters--Sir Lend a Hand (or something)--he had a third hand with a rubber chicken in it. He said something about having to bulk up to be Bettis' back-up and then pretended to bite the chicken. At that point, I ran away and hid until I thought the interview was over. Characters are great... but, please, leave it to the professionals *points to self*

No comments: