Sunday, February 12, 2006

PERSONAL Booking Agency: Scam Or Big Time Scam--You Decide
A friend of mine who worked at Coldstone with me is now a talent scout for a booking agency. Last week, she gave me a website and a "code" to get started. I went to the website, uploaded my headshot and a few acting resume items, and seemed to be all set. Then something odd happened... they asked for my credit card number and information. The reason they asked for that information is that, when an actor receives and accepts a booking request, the actor must pay $5. It doesn't matter if the actor is hired... the $5 is still paid from the actor to the agency. I figured this wouldn't be a big deal, as I wouldn't accept more than one or two. So, having completed the forms, and less than 24-hours later, I started receiving booking requests by the truckload. A problem arose from me having to read through the dozens of bookings, some of which OBVIOUSLY weren't for me (am I an in-shape mother who wants to host a fitness show? am I a hip-hop diva?). The bigger problem is that I saw something on Craigslist about how this particular agency is a scam. Not only could they take my credit card info, but they have a history of not paying the actors for the jobs they take. So, what do you think, kids? Scam or Big Time Scam? Addendum: I have recently cancelled my account. Just in case!
PERSONAL My Parents Try To Understand Me Through Dave Chappelle
I called my folks this weekend and they were watching Inside The Actor's Studio with Chappelle as the guest. My dad seemed very interested in the show... so I started watching it too, from Chicago. And then, when Dave was talking about being on stage being the only time he truly felt adult... and the audience were his true friends that held him up at times, I started wondering if my parents were watching the show to get a better understanding of me. I mean, I've never really thought about it until now, but I wonder if it's hard for my parents to understand why I want to entertain--to be on stage--as much as I do. It's selfish and naive of me to not think that maybe, just maybe, my parents don't understand this "stage thing" that I do. To me, it's so simple... it's so clear... it seems so natural to do, but maybe it doesn't always make sense to the people who are closest to me. Could it be that my mom doesn't understand why I don't want a computer job that will financially secure me and my family for years? I don't know... but I owe it to them to explain as much of my reasoning as I understand. So there.
PERSONAL Jobless? Ha! My Girlfriend And I Average 1.5 Jobs, Bitch!
Basically because Chelsey now has three jobs. She has her bank day job, the one that makes all the monies. And, recently, she was just given a couple of night jobs. She was given an opportunity at The Second City to work as the TD for night shows. It basically consists of doing lights and sound for a Skybox show... but it's a fabulous opportunity to get her foot in the door of The Second City. Plus it's a good resume builder for her because it's an opportunity to do lights and sound in Chicago. Additionally, she was just asked to stage manage for the Chicago Jewish Theatre. Before you go, "What?" let's just say that Chelsey successfully networked when she got to Chicago and it's already paying off. I'm very proud of her... and I'm happy for her since she seems as excited about these opportunities as she's been since she moved here. And I'm excited that she's excited. It's exciting.

No comments: