Wednesday, May 03, 2006


FOOTBALL NFL Draft... Packer's Style
As some of you may know (read: hardly any of you), this past weekend was the NFL Draft. Some time in either middle school or high school, my dad and I went to Lambeau Field for the draft... and we were able to watch the draft from the Club Boxes (it was a draft-day thing). This year, my dad and I decided to go to Lambeau Field again for the draft. This year's draft was to be held in the Lambeau Field atrium... complete with door prizes and autograph sessions. My dad is historically on the ball with Packer “fan” stuff like this, so we got tickets months ago. Additionally, in the way only my dad can do his dad things (What?), he had emailed someone in charge of the event and suggested WiFi access. It should be noted that people actually listen to my dad (unlike me…) [does that mean people don’t listen to me or I don’t listen to my dad? We’ll never know].
Regardless, we were headed to Lambeau Field, computers in tow, ready for the Packers to select AJ Hawk (unless they blew it and drafted Vernon Davis). My dad didn’t figure their would be a lot of people at the event, so we didn’t leave all that early. For once, he was wrong. If there’s one thing about Packer fans (let’s be honest), they aren’t doing anything better than whatever the Packers have planned for that day. Is that because they aren’t important OR is that because the Packers are the most important thing in these people’s lives? I’ll leave that up to you. But you should know that two lines formed leaded up to the atrium… both snaking their way in circles. While in line, from the outside, it didn’t look like we were going to be able to find a place to sit… but that was foolish. Once we got inside, we realized how right we were.

There was no place to sit… no place at all. We had traveled all that way, and my first thought was to go back to the hotel and just watch the draft from there. But my father is the persevering one. He found one chair and then had to look around all over the atrium for another. We found a table that just had one, solitary dude. This dude came to the draft special by himself and wasn’t interested in getting drunk (which put him in the minority with my dad and I)… so I’m sure you’re thinking militia-member. And you wouldn’t be far off from the way this dude looked… but he turned out to be a really nice guy.

Thankfully the Packers pick came pretty fast… and everyone was excited about it. Historically the Packers have a way of destroying seasons with their first round pick. But this year we got the best linebacker *prospect* in the draft. I say prospect because one doesn’t know if draft picks will pan out the way they played in college. AJ Hawk was awesome in college… but who knows if that will translate to the next level?
And who knows if last year’s number one pick, Aaron Rodgers, will pan out? But I do know what he looks like up close. Look!
Up close he looks bewildered! Er... I mean confused. No... wait... anyway, like I said, one of the draws of this draft day event was the autograph sessions. Upon entry into the atrium, everyone was given one of four different cards with a time period on it. The time period, obviously, correlated with which players you would be able to see. Each time period had two or three players… and I was fortunate enough to get the time-frame with Aaron Rodgers. The picture above is of him signing my Rodgers jersey. I waited in line for about five draft picks to see him. I know that doesn't sound like long... but keep in mind that each team does get 15 minutes to draft in the first round. When I got up to him, Aaron seemed more interested in watching the draft himself than meeting with the fans. That's slightly upsetting, but I don't blame him.
When I will blame him is when, at the beginning of the 2007-2008 season, he's given the team and he struggles. "He had all that time on the bench to learn" we'll yell... and we won't understand just how much faster the game comes at you in the pros even than on the sidelines. "We want Brett back!" we'll scream. Oh poor Aaron. You want to be the guy after the guy after the guy... not the guy after THE guy.
VIDEO GAMES/TV The Problem I Have With "Cheat!"
I watch a show on G4 (formerly G4-Tech TV)[formerly Tech-TV] called “Cheat!” I watch “Cheat!” because it gives hints, tricks, and tips on popular video games. And, because the whole half-hour episode is generally only about one game, there are plenty of episodes out there (they usually show two back-to-back). But I have a huge, HUGE problem with this show. That problem is the host. Her name is Kristin… and I can’t quiet place my problem with her. Well, I can, I just don’t know why I feel this way. This way equals the fact that it seems like Kristin doesn’t play the games. It feels like Kristin doesn’t play any games. I get the feeling that Kristin has never played video games in her entire life. And something about that angers me to no end. Probably the fact that I could do so much better… because I know the games. Plus I wouldn’t tell lame jokes and think I was being clever (like she does). I would tell lame jokes and know for a fact that I’m not funny in the least. So aggravating! I don’t know why I still watch that show (yes I do… the hints, tips, and tricks).
TV The Problem I Have With $40 A Day
And that leads me to another topic. On one of my favorite channels, Food Network, there’s a show called “$40 A Day.” On that show, Rachel Ray travels around the country and eats in great, exciting places with only $40 in her pockets. I have two problems with this show. The most obvious problem is that Rachel Ray comes in with a camera crew… and you think she’s not going to get a little discount on her meal? (Sidenote: Have you seen some of the tips she gives? Barely 10%! What an uber-bitch!) The second major problem I have with that show is that Rachel Ray is not built like, say, me. She is tiny… and the amount of food she needs to be full is a lot less food than I would need to be full. This is the same problem I have with similar “You can eat for this much a day” shows or articles. I actually saw something in a magazine that was an article like this… which was written by a woman. I mention that it was written by a woman only because this next part wouldn’t make sense if I didn’t mention it. This writer actually ate breakfast by going to a supermarket and eating nothing but free samples. SAMPLES! Do you know how many samples it would take to fill me? (Hint: 3,472 samples). But this is the kind of thing Rachel does… she gets amounts of food that, frankly, wouldn’t work for me. So what good is a show like that to me? If I can’t actually eat and be full for $40 why watch the show? Ahh… so I don’t.

No comments: