Friday, May 05, 2006

PERSONAL 11-Month Anniversary--Breakfast And A Gratuitously Violent Movie
Near the end of April, Chelsey and I celebrated our 11-month anniversary. That weekend Sarah and Eli were in Chicago, so we headed to Navy Pier to meet them for a fun-filled romp. Err… no romp atall. Whatever. Anyway, we met Eli and Sarah at Charlie’s Ale House—which is quickly becoming one of my favorite bars/restaurant in Chicago. Chelse and I ate with Ken and Abi there and anything I’ve tried there is good. That’s Charlie’s... and they’re paying me to tell you how great they are (not really… no one pays me).
After eating, we walked around Navy Pier and I finally took Chelsey on the Ferris wheel.

She’s wanted to ride the Ferris wheel since BEFORE she moved here, but for some reason we never made it up there. That reason could be my great discomfort with heights. I don’t want to say “fear”… because it’s more of an anxiety than a fear, but let’s just say I don’t feel comfortable with the thought that falling from wherever I am will kill me. Regardless, we all enjoyed our 7 minutes of Heaven (the ride was 7 minutes).

After the ride, we went to Hagen Das to celebrate the fact that I’m still alive. Chelsey and I split some Rocky Road thing… it looked like this.
It was as good as it looked. After ice cream, when everyone was happy and full I decided to ruin it by taking everyone to see Silent Hill. I wish I was kidding. Silent Hill is probably one of the best video game to movie movies I’ve seen in a while. However, if given a choice to see it with Chelsey after knowing what’s actually in the movie… there’s no way I’d go to see it again. Without getting too much into it, there are some gratuitous torture scenes in the movie and that really disturbs her.
It was far too late at night, after the movie was done, to make amends. I needed to do something, however, and so in the morning I decided to have a great large breakfast for us. Chelsey wanted it to be something that we did together, so I drove her to the grocery store, she picked up some food and we came back to the apartment to make it. A million eggs, thirty-three pounds of bacon, and four cinnamon rolls later and look at what we did!
It was the best breakfast I’ve had since I left college (you know, three years). Chelsey and I had a very relaxing and wonderful anniversary, and I look forward to the year anniversary in May (we’ll be on vacation… I hope to blog from the road).

PERSONAL My New Show
Every once in a while I’m fortunate enough to be privy to a new comedy show before other people are. This usually means that I don’t have to audition for the new show. That makes me insanely happy, as auditioning for stuff is my least favorite part of the “business.” So imagine how excited I was when I heard from my friend Gillian, who emailed me and asked me if I wanted to be a show she’s in. The show, Bad Review, has been performing for weeks now but they’re looking to add another member for a run in the Skybox. I was asked to be that other member… I mean person. I was asked to go see the show (which I did a couple of weeks ago), and I’m currently awaiting my first rehearsal with them.
What’s the show about? The show takes the worst theatre review from the past week and improvises an entire new play that the reader would have liked. You heard me right, it’s an entire improvised play. This is something I’ve been waiting to do for months, nay years! (No… really months) I don’t know if I’m ready for a fully improvised show… but I will continue to not know until I do it. And that’s why I’ve got to do this show—I’ve got to see if I can do this. Look for me in the skybox with this show in mid-June.

PERSONAL I'm Breathing Right!
A couple of weeks ago, Chelsey woke me up because I was sleeping funny. You see I have sleep apnea, which, if you follow the link, is a sleeping/breathing condition wherein the person momentarily stops breathing during sleep… and then that person has to “catch up.” As such, Chelsey caught me in one of my “non-breathing” moments and was scared for me. I didn’t like the thought that I was making Chelsey worried, so I thought I would try to figure something out that could help. My first solution was to try Breathe Right strips. The first night I tried it, I was instantly amazed at how easily I could breathe in through my nose. It felt like my nasal passages were opened as wide as I think they are when I point at them. Unfortunately, since one has to apply these strips to oneself, I think there were a couple of days in the past week or two when I didn’t apply them correctly. But last night I know I did it right again because the air is coming so easily! I’m a big commercial today! (The funniest part of the box is that it says "Drug Free"... like I'm really concerned about all the drugs used in a product which is an adhesive strip with two plastic bands on it. Thanks for easing my concerns)

No comments: