Friday, November 18, 2005

PERSONAL Another Writing Five Rehearsal; Anger Ensues
Monday night I had yet another rehearsal for my new writing five show. The hilarity ensued when discussing a potential rehearsal next Monday, a day which was not scheduled to be a rehearsal date, because of the Training Center's Thanksgiving break. Coincidentally, it is also the day which is the Packers/Vikings Monday Night game. Needless to say, I can't go to that rehearsal (my dad gave me the tickets), not that it should be a problem--as there shouldn't be a rehearsal that day. See where I'm going? Well, in this rehearsal, the director asked if everyone (sans me) could make the "rehearsal" next week. Apparently everyone else could... everyone who wasn't me. The next thing I knew, the director had cancelled the impromptu rehearsal, citing my absence as the reason why we couldn't meet. So now I'm the ass... even though there shouldn't have even been a rehearsal to cancel. Could I possibly have a rehearsal without being angry afterwards? (hint: no)
PERSONAL Does "The Boy Friend" Get Rave Reviews? Find Out Below
Tuesday night Chelsey and I saw a show at the famous Chicago Theatre. The show we saw was called "The Boy Friend," and is an early 1900s British musical. While watching it, I couldn't help thinking how antiquated the show is. I am almost certain that it doesn't take itself seriously... but I'm not completely sure. Regardless, the song about a woman needing a boy friend to have a meaningful life, compounded by the main character singing stuff about knitting and cooking while "her man" sits and reads... leads me to believe that this show is either horribly antiquated or it hopefully realizes it's antiquated. Unfortunately, I didn't see enough poking fun/not taking itself seriously to think that it understands how out-dated it is. Regardless, the dancing, costuming, and the orchestra was good (as it is in most musicals)... the lyrics and dialogue laughably bad (as it is in most musicals)... and the show became mindless entertainment (as I have found is the case with most "bad" musicals). It was worth the money, however, just to be in the Chicago Theatre. The theatre itself is HUGE... showing/reminding me of the way theatres used to be built; large and ornate... if not for modern lighting and amplification, it would be difficult to imagine seeing and enjoying a show in the way we enjoy a show now. It was a beautiful theatre... and well worth the $14. If you get a chance to see a show that cheaply (Katy), I recommend it.
PERSONAL SLIGHTED! Euphonics Show No Crazy Love!
Now I know what will be the initial backlash, so let me try to set an impartial background for everyone before I start ranting. Okay. Last spring, I got word that the Euphonics were going to be one vocal percussionist short for their recording session and, as such, I was respectfully asked to fill in. "No problem," I said, "I'm happy to help." Now, performing a cappella music with a new group is analogous to playing football with a new team: sure you know how to do your thing, but unless you practice with everyone else, it won't matter how good you are (or think you are) you're not going to know what's going on. As such, I wasn't all that great... but it was only due to my lack of rehearsals. I needn't make excuses... but it should be noted that I put myself out there, let myself look kind of shitty, and "took one" for the "team." I asked for nothing in return for my time, gasoline, and talent, just the knowledge that I helped the group I co-founded continue. But I think there is an implication that, at the very least, a small acknowledgement somewhere on the CD jacket, or on the back cover, or in the "thank yous" is polite and completely called for. I know I have an ego, this is not the question... but I don't think it's too much to ask to have someone say "Hey, thanks for recording as the only vocal percussionist on three songs and for helping on several others even though you never rehearsed with us and some of these songs you'd never even heard us sing before." Now it sounds like I'm being ungrateful for the opportunity to record... but, now that I think about it, they were pretty ungrateful to use me for the CD without acknowledging me. So, if you're reading this and it upsets you, go to the Euphonics website and let them know you're not happy... and that I'm the greatest Euphonic member in history (have them start a poll).
TOYS The Coolest Thing In The History Of The World
With Christmas coming up, it's our job at Rantings to let you know this year's hot toys. Fortunately for you, this will be a short article... as the ONLY hot toy this year will be: Star Wars Transformers. The perfect melding of two of the greatest things in the history of the world... this will not be like pizza ice cream! SWT are a can't miss! If you click on the link and look at the pictures, you'll see that they make more realistic vehicles than they do robots/personages; but that's the way most Transformers are constructed. Mmm... Transformers.
SPORTS See What Happens When You Leave Detroit? You Eventually End Up In Columbus
In hockey news, the Columbus Blue Jackets have acquired former Mighty Duck (and Red Wing) Sergei Fedorov. The 35-year-old, million time all-star, who didn't come back to the Wings because of money (as far as I'm concerned) will now toil in shame on the Blue Jackets. I find this hilarious, personally... as I liked Fedorov only because he was a Red Wing. This 'pretty-boy' Russian, who always put himself ahead of the Wings, will now be the ONLY player worth anything on his team (unless you count Adam Foote). Additionally, since he's now in the Central Division again, I hope when he next plays the Red Wings that Yzerman checks the crap out of him. I wouldn't mind of Yzerman gets some kind of penalty for the hit... he owes Fedorov a really bone-jarring check.
SPORTS The Pistons Remain Undefeated... No One In Chicago Even Knows
From what I hear, my Pistons are undefeated so far in this NBA season. Unfortunately, I have no idea. All we hear of basketball in Chicago is the baby Bulls (but not necessarily about them playing) and/or the new dress code. From what I hear, the Pistons are on fire! The offense is scoring over 100 points a game and the defense hasn't lost any of its intensity. Scottie Pippen (of all people) predicted that the Pistons would win 70 games this season. I don't know if that's true or not... the season is long and anything can happen, but if Darko steps it up and the Piston's bench is solid, it might be possible. Who knows? (Hint: No one in Chicago)
WORLD NEWS First Human Case Of Bird Flu Reported In China
According to Yahoo! News, the World Health Organization reports that there has been a case of bird flu in humans in China, causing at least one fatality. If I was living in BR or Albion, I wouldn't be worried about this... because what would be the chances of something like this finding its way into those tiny burgs? (hint: 600,000 to 1) But, living in Chicago... the chances still are quite remote. Do I think this might be a global government conspiracy to give people the bird flu in order to keep them in line and/or buying new medicines, pleading with the government to save them? Perhaps. Probably not. But I do find it interesting that a human could get a bird flu... I find it interesting that there could be a fatal flu that can't be medically treated... I find it interesting that someone could actually "predict" that it would wipe out more than half the world's population... I also find it interesting that "pandemic" seems to only refer to widespread epidemics, and not just things that are widespread in general. In summary, don't forget to wash your hands and get plenty of orange juice... I have no idea if this will aid anyone in not getting a fatal bird flu. I've got nothing.

No comments: