Monday, November 14, 2005

PERSONAL Dominoes, Raking, and Malts! Oh... What?
In the story first published on Crazy Rantings, this weekend was spent in Indianapolis. Chelsey and I left Chicago fairly early Friday morning but hit traffic just outside of Chicago, in between Chicago and Indiana, and just before Indianapolis. As such, we arrived in Indy about five-ish local time. Just in time for supper. Chelsey's grandma asked if I was a "hugger" when we met, to which I wisely responded "I guess." Not my most charming. Oh it gets better (that's not sarcasm... it does, in fact, get better). After supper, Chelsey's grandma took us to Menard's because she needed some shelving guides for shelving units she was having put in her laundry room. When we got back from errands, Chelsey's grandma said "So... what do you want to do?" Now I had mentioned to Chelsey on the drive down that I would love to play board games. It had been months (maybe even a year or more) since I last played a board game... and I was very much into playing any board game at all. We ended up playing "Aggravation," which is a marble game. I didn't want to get uber competitive... but felt comfortable sticking it to Chelsey as the game progressed. Then we played a dominoes game called Mexican Train dominoes. It's dominoes, using numbers up to 15, and with a couple different rules. I enjoyed it very much and, quasi-unfortunately, cleaned house. I don't know how polite it is to be the guest and to own at a game that you're playing... but I was just trying to do my best. The domino game took us, basically, to the end of the evening. I was given my own bedroom (which was nice), but Chelsey and I had to switch the mattresses first. We moved a mattress from "my" bedroom into the master bed and vice versa. I learned how to make hospital corners (kind of), and we all made the beds together. Aww...
In the morning, I was awoken to Chelsey's promise of french toast. Little did I know, C Dubs is a vacuum for french toast. I was still working on my first piece when she was reaching for more... calling me "slow." I'll show her slow! Wait... nevermind. After breakfast, Chelse and I raked leaves. Yeah... we did yardwork for her grandma. There were a billion leaves in her yard and, after about three hours of work, we hadn't even gotten to the front. If we hadn't had to get back to Chicago, I would have loved to finish the yard. You see, in my family (and extended family) I have the reputation of being spoiled, lazy, and useless. Not that this isn't based on empirical evidence, but I am very much looking forward to creating a new reputation with a new family. So I raked like a madman... hoping to be considered a useful, constructive person. Hopefully my scheme worked. Mmwah ha ha haaa! Whatever. After raking, Chelse and I got about a million pounds of food from Boston Market for about three dollars... further proving that if one buys food at Boston Market for thirty people, it's actually LESS expensive than if you were to purchase food for one. Regardless, Chelse and I ate with her grandma and her uncle David... and were off back to Chicago before we knew it. The visit went well (I think), and I look forward to seeing Chelsey's grandma again. Aww... (shut up)
PERSONAL Crazy Acts; Gets Hit On
Last night I had my second performance of TNG at Midnight. The show seemed a little flat to me, but perhaps that was because I was exhausted from a day of yard work and driving. Although I don't think all of it was me. My friend Fernando came to the show and he said that the audience was a little flat, too. He said that the audience didn't seem to be laughing much. Perhaps, had the audience laughed more, I would have been more into the show. I know that's the opposite of the way it's supposed to work (I'm supposed to be the one bringing the energy regardless of what the audience does), but I was so exhausted that I brought as much energy as I could muster. I feel like it wasn't enough... and I was pretty disappointed with myself when the show was over. As such, I went to greet my girlfriend (and whoever else saw the show) in a kind of funk. In the lobby, Chelsey was beaming (as usual) and Fernando said it was good but kind of flat. I was then introduced to three of Heather's friends from the bar at which she works. One of them, Erin, was far too happy to see/talk to me. She was drunk (of course) so don't worry about my ego getting too large... but she was very awe-struck to be talking with me, and I was (needless to say) flattered. After she left, I said "Well I haven't been hit on that hard in a while." And Chelsey was upset. I do, indeed, flirt when I shouldn't (particularly in restaurants)... but I don't think talking with someone who's saying very nice things about your acting is necessarily flirting. And there was certainly not intent on my part--I certainly wasn't attracted to her--so what's so wrong with being nice to someone who is nice to you? Especially when this woman had been introduced to your girlfriend (as "Chelsey, John's girlfriend") and when my bio in the program says that I'm "happily off the market." I can understand her being upset at the woman... but she transferred that anger to me, and that's just not cool. But don't you worry, dear reader, everything has been talking through and worked out... and, in the future, I won't be polite to any female who I'm never going to see again. Take that, nuns!
FOOTBALL Bears Try To Play In A Wind Storm/ Packers Decide To Win For Once
Yesterday (Sunday) was as windy as poop in Chicago. Poop with wind in it. I watched the hilarity ensue as Chicago and San Francisco both tried to play special teams in the windiest conditions in which I've ever seen a game played. Robbie Gould's first field goal attempt literally got caught by the wind and thrown sideways... if you watch it, it looks like the ball stops midair and goes straight sideways. It was unbelievable! But--keep this in mind kiddies--the Bears are supposedly a good team, the Niners supposedly not. The wind played INTO the Bears strength--forcing both teams to run and working right into the hands of a strong defense... and STILL the Bears barely won. They could have lost. This leads me to believe (which is always my belief) that the Bears aren't as good as they think they are. And the Bears still have two more games against the Packers. Oh the Packers aren't any good? Well... not so fast, my friend. It has taken a 1-7 start for me to finally be positive about my team. Yes, the Packers are 1-7... but they're the only team in history to outscore their opponents with a 1-7 record. They're not losing by much... and if they had their skill position players back, guess how much better they'd be. And the Packers horrible defense isn't as horrible as I thought they'd be. They're learning Jim Bates's system... Bates of the terrific Miami defense fame. And, guess what... the Packers defense, almost completely devoid of playmakers (sans Nick Barnett), is playing very well. The only thing the Packers need is less interceptions thrown (Oh Favre!), and a big play or two on offense, and we're talking about a pretty good team. Now, even if the Packers have a terrible rest of the season... I'm hoping they're high enough to draft Reggie Bush (good-bye Ahman Green, the fumble machine) and then Hello Packers! next season.

No comments: