Monday, November 07, 2005

PERSONAL TNG and Level 4 Show: A Weekend Of Shows
Saturday night TNG opened in the Skybox. For a midnight show, and without having postcards to promote the show, and for having it raining as hard as it was Saturday night, we had a pretty amazing turnout. Mostly girlfriends, parents, husbands, and close friends... but it was a good turnout considering. I was a little disappointed, however, in the response of the crowd, as I feel this is a really good show and didn't get the laughs we wanted. Such is life, I suppose. But I look forward to getting a large, mostly drunken crowd in there to see just how funny this show can be. Speaking of funny shows, kind of, this Sunday was my first Level 4 show. The other two classes seemed to have done sketches that they had already improvised through... because their shows were very organized. My class, however, improvised our entire show. The show was good, I suppose... we still ended up making un-funny scenes funny (which is good) and completely destroying scenes that should have been funny (that's not good). I think, all in all, our class is getting much better... but something happens to us while we're on stage. Some of us (three or four of us) pick up our game and really perform well. Others in my class (far too many for my taste) freeze up, or pretend everything needs to be important, or--the worst--go for EASY/LAME jokes that make me shake my head. I even called myself out in one scene Sunday. One of my classmates and I were both on the ground, picking up balls. I mentioned something about her having two balls in her hands and then said "But I'm not going to make a joke about testicles because that would be sophomoric and I went to a liberal arts school." I suppose that was funny... but I get very disappointed when I set something up like "I want you to take over the family business" and I get "But you run a prostitution ring!" I mean, come on! We're better than that. Let's see where this scene is going without trying too hard (which is what that obviously was). I was very proud of Katy's class, as their show was VERY funny and (in all honesty) made us look bad for the first time. Normally (in all modesty) my class shows up everyone else... but, yesterday, it was the Sunday class who came away looking hilarious, well-put-together, and like a true ensemble. I was very happy for them, but was upset with my class for not bringing our best. I hope our second level 4 show (in December) will be better.
FOOTBALL My Worst Nightmare?
As the situation in Philadelphia with Terrell Owens becomes more inflamed, it's obvious that the Eagles are effectively done with TO. This situation has (correctly) reminded people of the Keyshawn Johnson/Tampa suspension a couple years ago. The Eagles will do everything they can, I feel, to get rid of TO in the off-season... but this situation gives me a new worry. My beloved (and terrible) Packers, with a depleted wide receiver and running back core is desperate for talent. Could my Pack make a move to bring in the player most hated by me--Owens--THIS season? I could see my team making a move to bring Owens in for the remainder of the season. He knows the system (Andy Reid having been a Packers coach), and--in a weak NFC North division--the 1-7 Packers still aren't technically out of it. PLEASE let us toil rather than making a TO move! (Brief Sidenote: With all the injuries to the Packers this season, it reminds me a little of the Panthers a couple seasons ago, or the Falcons when Vick was injured. The Pack will get high draft picks this year and then, next year, their biggest off-season moves will be getting Javon Walker and either Davenport or Green [probably not both] back. The Packer's defense are surprisingly keeping the Pack in the games, so they're better than I thought they'd be. And wouldn't it just be amazing if the Packers could get Reggie Bush in the draft? Favre plays one more season... and the Pack roll next year. How's that for optimism?)

No comments: