Friday, December 16, 2005

PERSONAL It's That Time Of Year Again...
The time of year when the pressure is on the most... and every game counts. I speak, of course, of Fantasy Football Playoffs. As we sit right now, entering the playoffs in both of my head-to-head leagues... I've won both regular season titles with identical 10-4 records. I find this ironical in that the players on my teams don't have very much overlap. Additionally, in my one points-based league, I'm leading by over a hundred points with only three weeks left. But this is where Fantasy Football, for me, gets tricky. The playoffs are a "win or go home", "lose and you're out" situation... and I have, historically, lost and gone home very early in the playoffs. Most of the time, my good players stop performing near the end of the year, when injuries have caused them diminished offensive production. The result is that I lose in the first round of the playoffs to someone with a crappy record and (in my opinion) crappy players. This is the most frustrating part... and makes me vow, every year, that I'm not going to play again next year. I, of course, always come back to it--shaking and cold, like a junkie needing a fix. This year, unfortunately, looks to be no different, as I have key quarterbacks and running backs probable or questionable for this weekend... and I will no doubt lose horribly.
PERSONAL Game Night!
Speaking of games, this past Wednesday night was the first of what I hope will be a regular game night at Katy's. I was re-introduced to my love of CatchPhrase... which is fantastically fun, if you have a system in place saying that, if the buzzer goes off while passing, THIS happens (whatever "this" might be). If you don't have that rule, then things get competitive and stupid and you might as well just do it over. CatchPhrase has got to be one of the ultimate drinking and/or group games. Additionally, we played a game called Apples to Apples which claims to be a game of hilarious comparisons. It did not disappoint. I laughed out loud multiple times, especially since everyone who was there was so clever and funny. I think it got to the point where people knew which card I had placed because I wouldn't laugh at my own. Also there was tons of homemade chocolate-chip cookies that were delicious to the max. It was a lot of fun... and it was the first thing I've done, since my move to Chicago, that reminded me of college. It made me miss it so.

No comments: