Monday, December 05, 2005

SPORTS ESPN/ABC/Disney... Sucks?
Last week I was sent to a blog called Every Day Should Be Saturday. The post in particular was a fascinating/hilarious one: 52 Reasons Why ESPN/ABC/Disney Sucks. If you have the time, check it out. If you don't have the time, allow me to point you to the most interesting points on that list.
#6 Sportstainment!--I've talked about this already. I don't understand why a specialized TV Channel (like ESPN or MTV) feels the need to do things besides why they became a popular TV Channel. Why ESPN should make sports movies or sports reality shows?... I don't know. I am one of the thousands of people who would (and does) willingly watch the SAME EPISODE of Sportscenter back-to-back. Stick with what got you there... that's what I say!
#17 That Damn "Twins" song!--You remember that catchy, but slightly annoying, twins song that Coors used to sell beer? Well two (or three) years later, those bastards are still singing that same song... every week, with different lyrics, set to ESPN's NFL highlights. Something like "I... love... the leader of the Pack... lying on his back" makes me want to pull the thumbs off of the young gentlemen who sing that song.
#30 Woody Paige!--I went through a month or two period when I watched Cold Pizza every morning. The show I blasted when it first came on the air, they changed the format and made it an interesting show. But now, after two straight months of "Professor Screwloose" and hearing Skip Bayless yell the most asinine fallacies (he yells because he was ignored as a child... as such, he's learned to become "abrasive"), I'm sick of that show--watching Mike and Mike in the Morning instead.
And, the worst of all, #19 Making the story!--The item they use is Terrell Owens. But I pose this to you: LeBron James. Yes, LeBron lived up to the hype. Thank God, ESPN says. They put this guy's high school basketball games on national television. What if James was a bust? They made him the next best thing before he was even in the league. Turns out they might have been right... but where does reporting what's next meet making what's next? Where is the line? ESPN blurs that line all the time... without checks or balances, I might add. ESPN has no national competition (some might say Fox Sports... but Fox is definitely regional)... so there's no one to hold ESPN accountable if they get something "wrong." Accountability is key!

No comments: