Monday, August 16, 2004

Mah Packers' first preseason game! (Part 1)
1st Quarter: I continue to be impressed by my offense. With Favre, Green, and a bevy of receivers, we seem to fairly methodically march down the field. Ahman Green is incredible... he is simply amazing. He has the uncanny knack of being able to squeeze forward for an extra yard or two whenever he falls forward. In addition, I feel like our running back core is incredibly deep and talented. However, I continue to be disappointed with my defense. My cornerbacks (unless they have dreadlocks) suck... Barnett is the only linebacker worth anything (he's only in his second year)... and there is NO ONE on the defensive line who can do anything. As a unit, the defense is unable to stop opposing offenses from making long LONG drives. End of first quarter: 7-3 Seahawks. And, as most people who watch preseason football know, the first quarter is really the only gauge of your starters... the final score shows who has better back-ups.
2nd Quarter: Najeh Davenport cut his dreads! Noooo!!! BJ Sander, the punter we traded up to get... I don't think you heard me, the PUNTER we TRADED UP to get, made his first punt in the second quarter. It was a good punt... still not worth trading up. I also got my first taste of the Packers' first round pick, Ahmad "Alex" Carroll. He basically got screwed on a shitty pass interference call early in the second quarter. Speaking of first apperances, the second quarter let me see Tim Couch for the first time as a Packer. I liked Couch in Cleveland... I always thought he should have gotten the nod over Kelly Holcomb. I suppose they didn't like the interceptions (64 TDs to 67 INTs)... but my Quarterback is Favre, so interceptions aren't a big deal to me. However, I've seen wide receivers drop about three catchable balls from Couch... so Couch is looking pretty crappy, and I don't know if it's his fault (he held the ball too long on the fumble, but whatever). My punt returner, the Arena League star Antonio Chatman, has yet to impress me. As a Packer fan, my thoughts about the punt returner are to catch the ball and not fumble... anything beyond that is gravy. The last year that we DID have a punt returner worth anything, Desmond Howard, we won the Super Bowl... so maybe there's something to be said about getting a punt returner who actually doesn't suck. Speaking of players that suck, I want the Packers to cut Bhawoh Jue. He is terrible. Absolutly terrible. He can't cover and he can't tackle. I don't know why he's still on my team... but I really want him gone. I'm watching him missing tackles left and right... he's a terrible terrible player. End of second quarter: 14-3 Seahawks.

No comments: