Saturday, October 08, 2005

PERSONAL Update: Theatre And More
Well well, kids. I'm not exactly sure how to start this, so I'm just going to dive right in. I've noticed that, with Chelsey now in Chicago, I very much don't need to talk to my computer because I get to talk with her whenever I want (which is quiet frequently). But, very recently (as in the past couple of days), I've been in a foul mood. The reason behind this mood, it is my belief, is that I haven't been writing. Little did I know two years ago when I started my blog that it would be such an integral part of my emotional state.
As such, here's what going on with me. I auditioned for two writing five shows this past Monday night. I knew about the audition because two of the writers from the class came and saw "YFKIU" on the last Thursday night of the run. After the show, they both tracked me down and told me that they would love me to audition for their show because they had a couple of scenes they thought I would be really good for. I figured, with a personal invite like that one, how could I NOT audition? I had to audition... so I did. I arrived at the Second City around 7:20 PM, even though the first audition slot was at 1900. I was unable to reserve an audition slot when I tried to the week before, so I was hoping to sneak into an audition if someone else didn't show up. Little did I know, I ended up being number 7 on the waiting list. Two hours of waiting later, and I was able to go in last audition group. We were asked to introduce ourselves while pantomiming an activity that we were given. My activity was to set up a mic stand in a sound check. Easy enough, right? Ah... no. I'm pretty sure, as I wound the cord around the mic stand, that my hand went straight through the mic stand. I'm bad at miming... what? Regardless, we were then asked to sing one of three songs (Twinkle Twinkle, Happy Birthday, or something else). I sang Twinkle twinkle little star in the most ridiculous manner possible... even giving them the "Neil Diamond ending." We were then asked to sing whatever we wanted as a lounge/blues singer. I had to go first... and I didn't know what to sing, so I just started improvising a song. "This is a song I just made up" I said, as I took a drag of an imaginary cigarette. "Love... what is this thing we call love? Is it an ant-acid tablet? No. Bah do do do do... LOVE!" etc. There's something about improvising a song that puts me in a good mood. The rest of the audition was like any other audition until then end. The director said "Okay everyone. That was a great audition. You're all free to go except John [my last name]... who we want to read a monologue. So, thanks again for auditioning." I stood, agape, wondering why I was so blatantly singled out. As all the other actors left the room, the director handed me a script and told me to read it like my lounge singer character. So, after looking at the script for about twenty seconds, I looked up and realized that I was all alone in front of two classes worth of writers. Me, alone, in front of about twelve to fourteen writers who are there only to judge me. I don't know if I've been more intimidated in a long time. But I did the monologue and ran away as quickly as possible.
The good news? Two nights later, I got a call from one of the directors who asked me if I wanted to be in her show. She was a little too forward with information than I would have liked... perhaps leaning AWAY from professional... but I appreciated her candor (I suppose). So I'll be rehearsing on Monday nights for the rest of this calendar year. Pretty neat, huh? Except for my love of Monday Night Football, I have no problem rehearsing on Monday nights. Oh well... I'm happy to be in another show.
FYI The new Midas commercial with Fred Flintstone and Barney Rumble... have you seen it? Well the Midas man in the commercial is TJ Jagadowski, arguably the greatest improviser you've never heard of. I've seen him in Sonic commercials (for the restaurant)... which are semi-funny, but this Midas commercial has got to be nationwide. I'm so happy for TJ... as he is truly the most talented improviser I've ever seen (he's currently up at IO). I keep waiting for him to be used nationally in a better way, to prove how great he really is... but this is a start. Hooray! Go TJ!

No comments: