Saturday, October 08, 2005

PERSONAL Update Volume Two
The past few weekends have been busy for Chelsey and me. Two weekends ago I effectively gave my best friend away at his wedding. It was a quick, pleasant, and emotional service... and I found it very interesting to stand close enough in the service to pretend that it was I being married. I watched the doors swing open and Abi walk down the aisle... close enough to Ken to be touched by the spectacle and emotion of the moment. Yeah... I had to stop myself from crying when Abi started walking down the aisle, sue me. As the ceremony progressed, I found myself needing to stop myself from laughing at the faces Abi was making at Ken. She was making faces at Ken during the ceremony! She caught me looking one time, too... so I couldn't help but giggle like an idiot. I smiled like an idiot through most of the ceremony, to be honest. I was happy for Ken... stupid Ken! Ken looked quite excited... as happy as I've ever seen him. So, overall, a successful ceremony, I felt. Plus, I absolutely pelted him in the face (and in the ear) with some confetti. Serves him right for getting married. I was also able to see Abi's older brother Jon, who I had forgotten how much I liked and now miss.
That evening was also my first ever "best man" toast. It was a very big deal for me... as I didn't want it to mess it up, nor did I want to keep it free of charming craziness. So I was between a rock and another rock... in cleavage, as it were. Isn't that clever? That's the kind of clever stuff I wanted to include in my toast. But I also couldn't wrap my mind around the enormity of the situation enough to write something before hand. As such, I mostly improvised my toast... allowing the emotion to take me wherever the winds may take me. Huh? You know what I meant. The toast went well, I think... and my dad gave me a little card with a "10" on it as if he was judging my toast. This is good... unless the scale was out of 100. Oh God... what if the scale was out of 100? I have nothing!
All in all, a very good weekend. I reconnected with friends, got rid of stupid Ken, and played Halo in a church. What?! Yeah... I said it. Before Ken's ceremony, he and I were melee attacking each other probably about ten feet behind the large cross that rests behind the alter. Yeah... I said it. And there's probably a very special place in Hell for people who do that... but it was worth it, and it settled him down before the ceremony. Yes, take that moral compass! And that's all I'm going to say about that.
BTW Jon Heder did not impress me on SNL. Horatio Sans did not impress me on Weekend Update. Ashlee Simpson will never impress me. And the SNL writing seems to be even worse then it's been in the past few years... which I didn't think was possible. Oh well... all the easier for me to get a job then, I suppose.

No comments: