Friday, September 30, 2005

LOCAL NEWS FAA Approves O'Hare Expansion
Here's an article about how the FAA approved a $15 billion dollar expansion of O'Hare International Airport in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago. The airport, which was once known as Orchard Field Airport (which is why O'Hare's airport letters are ORD), has been the busiest airport in the nation during my lifetime. Currently, it is not the nation's busiest (I think someplace in Texas is??? but I have no factual evidence to support that claim)... as Midway is taking more and more traffic; and O'Hare is less and less able to handle high traffic. As such, O'Hare most probably needs this expansion... and (hopefully) more flights will mean lower costs of flying... so I can head to LA, Vegas, or wherever I want to go (Texas to visit all my new friends?!). One of the unfortunate sides of this story is that 500 homes will be destroyed so that the airport can expand. The article says that 2,600 residents will be displaced... and, more eerily, an entire cemetery (1,300 tombs) will need to be moved. I find it hard to image how frustrating it would be for the residents to have to move, but I honestly can't image being someone with a buried loved one whose casket and headstone will now have to be moved to another cemetery. Can't we leave well enough alone... leave people to rest in peace? I hate the thought of moving a cemetery... it makes me feel creepy. Oh well, I guess the FAA will go through with this whether I like it or not.
Have a good weekend... I'm off to Albion for Homecoming this weekend. Take care all.

No comments: