Thursday, September 08, 2005

NATIONAL NEWS/PERSONAL When You're Right, You're Right... But...
This is the time of night during which I would normally sleep, but not tonight. The reason? I've been struck by the comments left by a one Miss Becky pertaining to my Bush/Katrina diatribe. She made some excellent points. My zeal to blame the Republicans is totally misplaced in this instance... and my hatred for them is not unlike my hatred of musicals or religious groups. I like some musicals and, if pushed, would even gladly be in musicals if that's what my friends were doing (just like I will gladly vote Republican once I'm rich). Additionally, every person I've ever met who is part of a religious group is the nicest, sweetest, most caring person I could ask for... but zoom out and view their whole group at once and you're struck by the anger, hypocrisy, and bigotry within.
So, yes, I am sure there are red-blooded Republicans in the south helping those people far more than I am or ever will. Point well played. You were making good points. I was against the ropes, desperately blocking your combinations of blows, jabs and hooks... and then a punch below the belt: To make the claim that I must be 25 years of age or younger. To mistake my idealism for naivete... to, frankly, stoop to MY level of outrageous rhetoric was completely uncalled for. Bad form, Becky! You attack me as if Bush is your uncle and I have personally affronted your good family name. Perhaps it is naive of me to believe that the purpose of my elected government officials is that they protect me... and they rescue me when I'm in danger, particularly if that danger falls within this country's own border. Honestly, I've seen more aid come from sports teams than I have anyone in the government. And, perhaps again, it's naive of me to think that the President would get his hands dirty handing out supplies or loading up Red Cross trucks (think of the PR!)... but I honestly thought Bush was a President of the people. He was supposed to be "one of the guys"... someone who you could easily see yourself drinking a beer with, or watching a baseball game with. Isn't it right up his alley to get in there and get his hands dirty? People would have loved it! He could have worn his cowboy hat and said trite things about togetherness... just like any other politician would. But alas... only in my perfect world (where this wouldn't have happened in the first place).
I noticed your sarcasm about Bush controlling the waves and, perhaps, should have ignored Bush's trident as being "just for show." Yes, my zeal to blame Mr. Bush might be completely off-base and uncalled for (even though he, himself, said that the government's response was "not acceptable")... and, yes, I've seen pictures of the Kennedy era (thank you for not sounding condescending), but I'm feed up with the current administration. I've watched the country that I love go down the economic toilet for the past five years... I've seen hate and war mongering from my fellow citizens (not that THAT'S any different than history, but I never felt like we were so zealous under Clinton)... I've seen the separation of church and state slowly disappear... I've seen gay rights given and quickly abolished... and I'm ready for a change.
Ha! And to say that the people with the power in this country are currently NOT Republican, to me, is lunacy. Have you seen the Senate, Supreme Court, and White House? How are there checks and balances in this country if one party seemingly controls all three branches? That party, by the way, is not the Democrats (I'm old enough to know that much).
Would Kerry have handled this situation better? Well, I think so, but that's based on no empirical evidence what-so-ever... and just my belief that he's an insanely intelligent man (and, subsequently, my belief that intelligence is a magical cure-all). If he hadn't handled it better, I probably would have been talking about what a shame it was that marry-into-wealth Kerry couldn't get his wife to front some cash for the clean-up effort (As part of the whole "comedy training" thing, I try to be as much of a bastard as possible to as many people as I can). If Kerry would have handled it the SAME EXACT way, you'd hear the Republicans and the BBC (they always love jabs at our leaders) say the same poop about inaction that the Democrats (and the BBC) are saying about Bush (and the Germans are saying that Katrina is our [Bush's] fault because of our lax views on global warming. The GERMANS! I'm pretty sure they're older than 25). But, as the kids of my generation say, this is all a moot point. One cannot change the past, and I anxiously await our new President in 2008... whomever he or she may be.
Hey, in all honesty, how can you ever take someone who has played Yu-Gi-Oh!: Dawn of Destiny for over twenty hours seriously? ... What? I needed something to do in between recess and nap time. *rolls eyes*

No comments: