Thursday, September 29, 2005

NATIONAL NEWS Senate Confirms Roberts as Chief Justice
At around 3 PM Eastern Time today, Judge John Roberts Jr. will be sworn in as the 17th Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court. The Senate voted 78-22 in favor of Roberts... so this guy must know what he's doing. But excuse me for being a little worried as someone who hasn't been on the Supreme Court moves onto the court for the first time as the Chief Justice. I'm not "digging" that... if you catch my jive. It may be that Roberts is the best person for the job, I don't honestly know... and, frankly, I don't think anyone else knows either. Once one is given the supreme power of the Supreme Court, there is no holding that person back from doing and saying as they please. Granted, the justices are supposed to be blind and fair, but power does strange things to people, and we have no idea what it will do to Roberts. That's what I'm wary to support someone going from the lesser courts straight to the Chief Justice's chair. So, while I'm very interested in seeing how Roberts rules from the Court, I'm hesitant to be excited about his appointment today.

No comments: