Thursday, September 08, 2005

SPORTS Agassi/Blake... The Best Sporting Event of the Past Month That You Didn't Watch
Unless you were Jim, who beat me to the punch. Stupid Jim. *shakes fist* Last night, Andre Agassi came from two sets down to be James Blake at the U.S. Open. But that wasn't the only story of that wonderful night. Both players, Americans, had huge contingencies that stayed well into the New York night. Both players had incredible story-lines... Agassi being 35 and told to "hang it up;" Blake being only 25 and having been half paralyzed a year ago... unable to stand or (obviously) practice. I found myself rooting for whomever was losing (I only saw the fourth and fifth sets, unfortunately for me). I haven't been as into tennis as I was last night since Sampras retired. When Sampras and Agassi met back in the day (which I hear was a Wednesday), Agassi was my boy. But when Sampras retired, I stopped paying attention. Roddick has never interested me... as Mr. Sellers once said "He reminds me of the punks I used to play against"... what with his hats and his wealthy, tennis club demeanor.
Regardless, in an effort to figure out what to do while not sleeping, I found the Blake/Agassi match and started watching. Frankly, my surprise at the lack of interest in tennis is mirrored by Jim's. I DON'T understand why tennis isn't bigger in this country. It's mano-a-mano format makes for the kind of high sports drama that this country loves. And the lack of a clock controlling time of play makes tennis as interesting and intriguing as baseball... which means tennis should lend itself to sports movies as well as baseball does. I, actually, have an idea for a tennis movie that I think will be HUGE! TENNIS! MOVIES! They will be big! Mark my words! MARK THEM! WITH A HIGHLIGHTER!
Regardless again... I haven't felt the intensity of sports pressure on ME watching a sporting event like I did last night in a LONG TIME. It was awesome. Congrats to the ever classy Andre for winning and heading to the semi-finals. Let's hope he makes it to the finals... and maybe gets some DAP from the PTI guys.

No comments: