Tuesday, September 20, 2005

PERSONAL I Hate XSport Fitness... I Hate Them And Everything They Stand For
Yesterday, whilst going through my bills while shaking my head (a monthly routine for me), I noticed something different and unexpected about my credit card bill. Apparently my ex-gym, XSport, charged me $539 for a yearly renewal. I had to send them word via certified mail (for a whopping $5, by the way) by August 27th. I had received email confirmation that, as of August 26th (a Friday), the order had been processed, printed, and ready for shipment. No problem, I thought, they'll get it the day they need it... done. Well, after calling my father, my credit card company, my father again, and checking my email and the USPS postal site twice... I seem to have figured out the problem. My certified mail request, sent to USPS on Wednesday, was ready for shipment on Friday, but was not delivered until the following Monday. After reading through my gym membership contract twice (it was entitled "We have you by the balls now" coincidentally), I realized that I am very much without any leverage in this case. My membership says nothing about being able to cancel early for a fee... it says nothing of being refunded for ones money if one does not want a membership... and, according to my credit card company, I was late with my notice of cancellation and, in light of my automatically renewing signed contract, XSport was well within its right to charge me that fee on that day. I am, basically, screwed. There's nothing I can do. I could, perhaps, call XSport and beg to get my money back, or a portion of my money... but that depends on a business person having the heart to actually listen to me. *shakes head* I don't believe people in business even have hearts... so I don't think that will actually help. People are, by nature, heartless.

No comments: