Friday, February 11, 2005

A Super Party
I spent last Saturday, mostly, memorizing lines. I had a show at night, but I didn't go out afterwards because I was too worried about getting everything memorized for Monday. This past Sunday, however, I spent running all over the place and getting errands done. I went up to Borders to check to see if they had a few things... and I bought a graduation gift that I think a certain someone will absolutely love (I have such good ideas!).
After that, I went south to Adam's apartment and we watched Cloak and Dagger an 80s movie... which is absolutely hilarious in retrospect. Dabney Coleman plays the kid from E.T.'s dad AND an imaginary hero who keeps telling Henry Thomas (the kid from ET) to shoot people, run through traffic, and use his body to draw enemy fire. Adam told me before the movie started that there was NO WAY this movie would ever be made now, and I didn't believe him until we really got into the film... but he was absolutely right. It kind of reminds me of this cover. Awesomely out of context! Or awesomely... not... publishable now. I don't know what I'm saying.
I then had to go get my props from Mankind and Other Oxymorons from the writer who was in charge of props. His apartment is smaller than mine... he's got a refridgerator in a closet (no joke) and I think his bathroom is somehow bigger than the rest of his place. It was really weird... and reaffirms my belief that I need to get out of this area if I want an apartment with actual space. I still plan on looking for a new place over the summer.
Anyway, after picking up the props I headed further north to the Othics' for a Super Bowl party! When I got there, only Adam Moroze had shown up so far. That's okay, because I really missed him. It was very weird... but we only spent a few months together, but we got very close. I asked him all sorts of questions about Judaism... and about his travels... he's been all over the world! And he sat and would eagerly answer all my questions. He seemed happy that I was so interested, and I was happy that he was so eager to explain things to me. So we got very close... but we hadn't seen each other since the Assistant Director's Cut ended. Oh... did I forget to mention that this was an Assistant Director's Cut Super Bowl party? I did forget... but that's it was. Adam and I caught up on football for a while... he's from Boston, so he was a big Patriots fan. I told him that I could root for the Patriots as long as I could root for Brady to die. He seemed to think that was acceptable.
Some random thoughts on the game: 1) Thought the Patriots were going to win by more than they did. They SHOULD have with all the Eagle turnovers. 2) T.O. played well. I have to give him that. He played really well for someone with one leg. 3) Deion Branch played even better... but, to be fair, he did have two legs. 4) If Mike Vrabel comes in on the goal-line, COVER HIM! He's going to get the ball... even though he's a linebacker. Geez! 5) The Patriots run might stop here, as Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weiss are leaving... we'll see if Belichick deserves all those Lombardi comparisons he's been getting next year. Frankly, I don't think the comparison is fair... and that's not just the rabid (I'm foaming!) Packer fan in me speaking. There is positively no way Lombardi would have been able to handle today's players, and today's salary cap and free agency. On the other hand, Belichick has so many co-ordinators on his staff that today's coach is more of a manager than a coach... and I don't know if Belichick could have done as well as a teacher and coach as Lombardi did. They're different coaches for a different time... can't we just, please, leave it at that?
I had a great time at the party. Chris insisted, as I left, on giving me personally some left-overs. He says it's because he remembers what it was like to be a bachelor living alone, but I think it has more to do with the fact that he sees me as a younger him. Regardless, I walked away with even more food... and I haven't, honestly, felt as full as I did when I left that party unless it's Thanksgiving. I ate SO MUCH damn food. It was good. But it was still damned to my stomach. That makes no sense.

No comments: