Friday, February 18, 2005

Why one needs to watch Street Fighter... (answer: Because one just saw "Saw")
Monday night was my "Sweet Pumpkin Pie..." rehearsal. We've been off book for a week now, and we got the final running order this week. This is another fun show for me, where I get to be in three scenes, take a scene off, be in four more scenes, get another scene off, and then be on stage until 199four-ever. That doesn't make sense. But it's going to be another show here where it will probably feel to the audience like I'm in every scene. And, even though I'm in a lot of the show, I wish I had a bigger part in the song. I ran into John ("Boston") from the cast of Mankind, and I told him that I always get hosed in songs. I can't audition worth shit... but I'm pretty good at singing. So I will be forever cast as the BEST member of the chorus. And that's kind of how I feel. The worst part about this particular song is that the song is incredible! It's funny and it's musically interesting... and I wish I had the lead SO BADLY! (and not just because I would be singing opposite Kim... but for the two reasons I just listed) Anyway... so I sit there in the background and sing along in my head the whole song... just wishing I had the lead the whole time. I need to learn how to sing better in the audition.
After rehearsal, we went to the Old Town Ale House (ANOTHER BAR?! I know). Chris and I seemed to bond over Jack and Coke's... his preferred drink and my, well, I'm willing to try anything once. Chris is a totally cool guy... and, for some reason, we're getting very good at giving and taking with each other. Perhaps it's all that making out we do. *shrug* And, after two of the aforementioned drink, I probably hit on Kim a little too hard. She bruised. Wait... I've mixed my metaphors, or I just mixed metaphor with literal... and now everyone thinks I punched her. I didn't punch anyone. I just, at one point, may have asked her to marry me. I noticed that's a problem I have... instead of being honest with my feelings when I notice them, I heighten them to extremes so as to try to hide my true feelings. It works pretty good for me normally... but she probably thought I was a freak. Although she was the one that smelled me from stomach to neck at one point. So who's the freak now?
When Kim, Chris and I left the bar as almost the last people there, I decided to walk them as far as the Brown Line Sedgewick stop (not too far from where we were... and not horribly out of my way, either). I remembered that I had asked for Chris' phone number earlier in the night because we were going to go see a show together; but I hadn't gotten his number yet. So I asked for his number, and Kim seemed slightly offended that no one wanted her number. But, what can you do? I know what you can do, you can call her right there to see if that will make her feel better. So I scrolled through my phone and found Kim's number and called her. Even though she was standing in the same room with me and had yet to get on the train, she didn't answer. So, whatever... "maybe it's on silent" I thought. Then, as I was walking home, I got a phone call from Kim... wondering who the hell called her at midnight on a Monday. I said "Well, I have blue eyes... and I'm the funniest person you know...", "Is this John?", "Whoa... wow... you got it on the funniest person bit. I'm flattered"... but she was too busy wondering how I got her number to care that I felt complimented. Then I really had to think: "How did I get her number?" I remembered that we have a Yahoo! Group for the entire cast and writers to post messages and stuff... and we also have a database that includes everyone's phone number and email address. And that's where I got it. I don't know if she bought that as the actual reason, or if she thinks I'm a creepy stalker. Well... she can't think I'm THAT creepy of a stalker because when I said "So, do you wanna go see a movie or something sometime?" She said "Sure. What movie?" I hadn't planned that far ahead, actually... I just really wanted to get to know her better and couldn't think of a good way to go about it. So I had to respond with "I'm not sure. I haven't seen like any movie ever"... which lead the conversation in a different direction and we never did end up talking about going to a movie again.
Tuesday afternoon I talked with Keith on the phone and told him what had happened the night before. He told me that we should go see "Sideways" and that I should call her right then. Well, I know she actually HAS a job, so calling her is probably not the best idea. I decided to email her. When I got the response back she said something like "sounds like a plan... but I don't know when I'll have the free time" etc. I know, from my vast experience that a phrase like that means "oh, you think this is going to be a date... I'm not comfortable with that." Or something to that effect. I kind of deflated at that point (meaning my ego). Yeah... I doubt I'll make her actually go to the movie now.
Tuesday night I met with the cast of Basically Awesome. We were going to split the money we made on the show. (I know! I made money on a show!!!) My take ended up almost being $80... so that's pretty kick ass! Not when you try to figure it out per hour of work... but when you think that I normally don't get paid anything to be in these shows... I'll take $80 every time. After we split up the money, I spent some time with Adam. He bought the movies Saw & Street Fighter. We watched Saw with his roommates Chip and Owen. There are two things that REALLY bother me about this movie (CAUTION: Spoilers! If you haven't seen Saw... stop here) Number one: Cary Elwes' character, at one point, says "Technically he's not a murderer. He finds ways for his victims to kill themselves." Um... technically speaking, he IS a murderer. Let's say I was to exchange someone's parachute with a backpack. What kills that person is the fact that they didn't check to see it was a parachute... and their jumping out of an airplane. But I was still in control of the factors that lead to their death. Or, perhaps if you don't buy that analogy, let's say I push someone off a boat into freezing water. There's a life jacket on the boat but I force them to play a guessing game before I will toss the life jacket to them. Oh... they didn't answer the questions correctly, and they just happen to drown. Cause of death is drowning, right? I had nothing to do with it. Please... with the main story-line, Elwes might have a point... anything that happens to the Doctor or Adam are just a result of kidnapping. But poisoning Zepp, that's murder... attaching a "reverse beartrap" to Amanda's head to pull it apart, that would have been murder... the whole candle, glass on floor, flammable substance thing is clearly murder... So, basically what we have here is a case where the writer thought "what a kick ass line. 'Finds a way for the victims to kill themselves'! That would be an awesome way to sell the movie, if we were to put it in the trailer!!!" And there it was, not fitting in with the rest of the movie. Number two: I can understand what the Doctor did to deserve this... and what Amanda, the drug addict, did... and what the fat dude who tried to commit suicide did... and the flammable guy apparently did some crap too that the movie explained in about two seconds... but what did Zepp or Adam do to deserve this? Especially Zepp... whose only fault seemed to be that he was a social outcast that formed a strong bond with the patients at the hospital? No one talks about what Zepp did wrong... we don't have to, because we think he's the bad guy for a while and we don't know that he's just another victim. But, in retrospect, we must ask "why Zepp?" What did he ever do to deserve this? And Adam being a voyeur means he should die? I might be able to buy that... in that he'll be happy to live his own life instead of focusing on other people living their lives.... but, still, why Zepp? No one can answer that question, can they? Because it makes no sense. Yep... chew on that for a while, kids. I'm out!

No comments: