Wednesday, January 18, 2006

FOOTBALL Black Monday Brings A Sherman Firing/Hello Mike McCarthy?
While I lament the firing of a good man, I think the firing of Mike Sherman was the right move. When he had a good roster, he was fine... but so would anyone be with a good roster full of talent. When that talent left (a la this season), Sherman proved himself to be a below average coach. Granted there were tons of injuries this season, but this season just confirmed what I already knew about Sherman's talent and lack there-of. I actually preferred the Packers making a move at coach and seeing if someone else could get another championship run out of Favre and the current team. Now here's the problem: instead of waiting for a while and hiring the best person available, Ted Thompson (the Packers' GM) hired a "Green Bay" guy--Mike McCarthy. McCarthy is a former 49ers and Saints offensive coordinator... both of which have not been known, recently, for their offensive explosiveness--including San Francisco's terrible offensive season this past year, under McCarthy. Granted, NO had a few good offensive seasons under Mac... but for someone who is supposed to be a quarterback's coach, what has happened to Aaron Brooks? Mikey Mac is now the youngest NFL head coach (three months younger than Gruden), and I have no confidence in him. Some of these older coaches (like Belichick or Shanahan) can probably coach circles around him. My advice (if you asked for it, which you didn't) is to let Brett call the plays on the field a la Peyton Manning. And let Jim Bates (who I hope is still with the team) coach the defense. Bates is better than advertised and did a whole lot with very little this past season. Looking at the Packers' 2006 opponents, we could actually have a pretty good season (the NFC North plays both the NFC West [a weak division] and the AFC East [a weak division] next season). I'm sure you'll hear me bitch more about McCarthy next year, I'm sure.
PERSONAL Fantasy Football Results
I should also update everyone as to the results of my fantasy football seasons. No thanks to the anonymous advice from a one "Dr. U," I was still able to win the regular season titles in all three leagues. Since the Sarah and Eli league was points-based (we had an odd number of teams), I won the title outright. And, per usual, I was bounced in the first round of the playoffs with my BR crew. But I was able to survive the playoffs and win like a real champion in what I will dub the Amber and Theo league. Effectively two for three is a pretty successful season, wouldn't you say? And it brought about a new-found interest in fantasy football for me. What did it? The fact that I had so many players, on so many teams, that I was able to enjoy watching football again without worrying about this player needing a touchdown but his quarterback needing to throw an interception, etc. If I have the quarterback in one league and someone I'm playing against has the same quarterback in a different league, then I don't get wrapped up in who does what. I can just sit back and let it all happen. And it just happened to have worked out this season.

No comments: