Tuesday, January 31, 2006

MOVIES Crash Nominated For Oscar's Best Picture: In Related News, Crazy Says "Um... No"
A few weeks ago, Chelsey and I watched the movie 'Crash.' Now if you know the kind of movies I like, you know I don't shy away from movies full of controversial, complicated, or challenging content (alliteration! Bah!). But Crash, I'm sorry, I just didn't like. It's a movie which is a collection of different plot threads and whose character's lives supposedly all come together in ONE incident. It isn't that... the character's lives are interwoven, yes, but it doesn't culminate in one scene. I also have a big problem with this movie because it's scope is too small. Everyone (with the exception, perhaps, of the Hispanic locksmith) views the world through goggles of racism and prejudice. I've never come across that many people who are THAT racist (but, I guess in defense of the movie, I've never been to LA). My criticism is that the movie doesn't show it's world in three-dimensions... in a way, every character in this movie is the same. "You think what you think about me because I'm black," "You're only robbing me because I'm white," etc... this becomes monotonous and boring. Additionally, after watching the movie, I only feel worse about humanity... it doesn't make me feel better, it doesn't make me feel like my horizons have been broadened, it hasn't questioned my beliefs about anything... if anything, it makes me feel like humans are-by nature-racist, bigoted, and power-hungry. I honestly would not recommend this film to anyone and have gotten into an argument with a friend over it. She said that the movie shows a truth about what racism can do... and I feel like it's not a balanced view/cross-section of its own characters. If you have that many characters (probably a plot thread or two too many)... you've got to show me something different. Additionally, I actually watched two people get into a heated argument at Second City in the lobby over this movie. I knew what movie they were talking about without them even saying the name about the movie. If nothing else, this movie has wonderfully divided people who are close friends. I hope it does not win best picture. That's all I'm saying.

No comments: