Sunday, January 22, 2006

PERSONAL Skybox Proposal... But Not The One You Think
Rob and I submitted a show proposal to Donny's Skybox this past week, but that's not to what the title refers. This past Friday night was week three of my SGAG/writing five show run. After the show, one of the writers--Francis--has been thanking the audience and thanking one of the show's sponsors (we have sponsors for this show!). But, this past week, he invited his girlfriend, Anne, up on stage with him. Another one of the writers got her a chair and sat her down, and the entire cast of writers and actors was on stage. Francis then asked Anne to marry him! She, of course, said yes... and the thunderous applause began. I felt a special interest in this story as, last week after the show, I went out and got drinks with some of the writers. Francis and Anne were there and I talked with them for a while. They are both lovely people and I enjoyed the conversation very much... so to be privy to the proposal--to actually BE there when it happened--was thrilling to me. It would have been thrilling to me anyway, however. I've never actually been present when someone asked someone else to marry them. It was exciting... and I was quite happy for them both, because they seemed happy together. It was interesting to me, also, because marriage proposals always seem so dramatic... and so was this one. I wonder if asking someone to marry you could possible be NOT dramatic. I think it's dramatic by the very nature of the event. I also wonder if a public proposal like that is a little too much pressure on the propos-ee. If she wanted to say "no", could she? I mean, and not look like a total bitch? I don't know if a public proposal is the way to go. But it felt amazing to be a part of and to see. So join me in wishing a congratulations to Francis and Anne. God bless!

No comments: