Monday, July 12, 2004

My first salaried paycheck
I just got my first paycheck on my new salary last Friday. I can't tell you how good it feels to be able to have a little breathing room financially. It feels (or maybe "will feel" is better in this situation) good to be able to pay my regular monthly bills with basically just one paycheck. This is instead of needing both paychecks and maybe even some extra help from my parents to be able to pay for things. For example, my parents always ask me if I'm "eating all right" whenever we talk. Before I had to say "I need to get groceries" because I needed to wait until I got paid again to buy food. Now I can say "I need to get groceries" because I'm lazy and haven't gotten them yet. But yeah... I went to the movie yesterday night with Jim (because now I have the money free to be able to do fun things), and I even took Andrea out to dinner Friday to thank her for getting me salaried. So the good news is that I'm actually being able to look around and see what I want/need to buy and I'll be able to purchase it. The bad news is that all that free time I used to have to enjoy the things I purchased is now almost entirely gone. For instance, I mentioned that I joined Gamefly.com, right? It's a video game rental website... they send you the game in the mail. Anyway, I joined it... and I don't even really have time to play the games when they come. They just kind of sit around my apartment until I say to myself "I should probably send that back and see if I like the next game better". And it honestly takes about four or five business days for the game to arrive back in California... and then four or five more days for the next one to arrive here. So, for a monthly service, a quarter of the time I'm paying for is easily spent just in shipping.
Wow... how did you let me end up there? Where even was I? Oh... I was probably talking about being able to buy stuff. Yeah... I'm thinking about getting a Gameboy Advance with my extra money. They're re-releasing all sorts of old NES games, like all the Mario Bros games, some Zelda games, Excitebike (I know! Excitebike!!!), and others. There's even a "retro" looking GBA which looks pretty sweet. I'm old... leave me alone!
Speaking of stuff to buy... NCAA Football 2005 comes out on someone's birthday this week. It's interesting because Ken will be here, so I doubt I'll be able to run to a store and buy the game, and the certain someone whose birthday it is will be in New York, so I won't be able to wish her a happy birthday. Not that that's a problem, she told me not to get her anything... but I would call and say "Hey... you're closer to death than you were yesterday!" or something else festive like that.
And on that cheerful note, I'm going to get going on my script. It's due tonight and I've got a ton of work to do at work today. So have a great day all! (Stupid Monday)

No comments: