Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Yesterday sucked ass... and here's why
Yesterday started early in the morning... I've been trying to wake up earlier and earlier so as not to be completely shocked when Ken comes tomorrow morning at like 5 AM. I then proceeded to listen to the three wedding songs for about two hours straight... while I was trying to make up the schedule for next week at Coldstone. I've never done the schedule before... Andrea's always done it. But she was still in Arizona, so I was put in charge of doing the schedule. Let me tell you, doing the schedule sucks ass. It's way too hard, because it takes into account everyone's own personal schedule and tries to accommodate everyone. What I really wanted to do was write a schedule and just let everyone deal with it if it's wrong. That's the way scheduling should work. But it, apparently, is not the way we work. Whatever. I don't really care. I was just having a poopy time trying to accommodate everyone.
Then, while I was doing the schedule, Andrea called from Arizona. We started talking and she wanted me to make sure that I did something on the schedule (which basically would have made me have to re-write the whole thing), and I matter-of-factly told her that I was going to do it a different way and she could fix it when she got back. That was apparently not the thing to tell your boss. Not your boss per se... but "ones" boss. She told me that she did not appreciate the tone with which I was speaking to her; and I sat, listened, and felt very scolded. This is the second time in as many weeks that Andrea has scolded me for something I don't really see as all that important. I'm hoping that she's just stressed (as I am) with the opening of new stores... but I'm finding this very weird and difficult to continue being professional when it honestly feels like being scolded or accused. I guess that's business? I'm Ron Burgundy?
After the verbal phone scolding, I proceeded to run to work to see if the schedule I made up actually works with people's availability. Emily, the young lady who works at Coldstone who I'm sure I've talked about before, was working. She was effectively fired last week before Andrea left, except it sounds like they didn't really communicate... it sounds really complicated and I don't know how to explain it. But Emily came downstairs to tell me something and she asked if I was alright and I stood up and I said "No, dear, it's not", and she said "I know... I know" and started crying a little. To which she said "I should go back upstairs" and left. That sucked... but it gets better.
I went to the gym to workout... and Thad had me use this incline chest press machine. This machine totally kicked my ass. I mean, kicked my ass. I struggled to do 10 reps of (basically) no weight. When we were done, I said "stupid machine" and Thad thought that was pretty funny. But he would, because the machine doesn't kick his ass. Additionally, I couldn't finish my knee lifts because we did lower back during the workout and it was so weak that I couldn't hold myself up to do the lifts. I basically got it handed to me the whole workout, probably because I suck.
When I came back from the gym, Emily wanted to talk. She and I sat and talked about the whole situation for about an hour and 40 minutes. Do I understand it better? No. Am I even more confused about this whole thing? Yep. The fun part about such a long conversation was that it brought me to 6:40 PM, twenty minutes before my Improv class. I hadn't showered after the gym, because I assumed I would be able to go home and eat something and shower. So I basically decided to skip my class. This is not a huge deal, in that I've been bitching about hating that class for a few weeks now. But it was a big deal in that we were "casting" for the Level D show. What's that mean? That means I might not really be in my Level D show (August 1st). Am I upset about this? A bit... just in that I've been to every class except one, and that performing is the only part of all this bullshit that I actually enjoy. So if I can't perform, why am I even doing it? I don't know. I might just skip the Level D show altogether if I hear that I'm not going to be in any of the games/scenes.
I called my parents and talked to them for a while. I told them that I felt really bad about missing class and that I just wanted them to cheer me up. They told me not to get too emotional about this... that I'm almost done with the beginning improv levels at Second City (which is true) and that I should just stick it out until the end. They're right, of course. I'm ridiculously close to being done with this first year... and I just need to keep my head down and keep plowing through it. I guess I'm just really frustrated because I'm really enjoying the Level 5 Writing show, but not enjoying the actual improv classes at all. I just lose focus. That's all this is. >sigh< Hope you're having a focus-filled Wednesday.

No comments: