Saturday, July 24, 2004

Phone Calls... lots and lots of phone calls
Thursday morning I spent making phone calls. I got a notice from ComEd (an electricity company) that there has been electricity used at my apartment (obviously), and I haven't set up service. This is true, as I was almost positive that my building took care of all utilities. This is not the case. What does that mean? Well... I basically owe 10 months of electric. In case you don't know, that's a lot of money. So I called ComEd, and I called my building, and I called all manner of companies for work. I was basically on the phone all morning and a little bit of the afternoon.
Then, in the afternoon, I got a call from Coldstone that they were out of credit card paper. My job is interesting, indeed. So I drove to Office Max and purchased the necessary credit card paper.  I also bought myself some new pants for the Level 5 show (some Dickies... just because Ken thinks I look hot, I mean, because Ken likes Dickies, I mean... um... Ken and stuff).
On my way back from my errands, there was a fire at Cabrini Green. It was filling the air with a brown (not black) smoke... and it smelled awful. I looked around on the different Chicago News websites to link something to the fire (because I was right there when it happened)... but, unfortunately, a fire in the projects isn't newsworthy enough. Apparently no one died, otherwise I would've been able to show you at least a little article about it. Here's the point of today: No one cares about poor people.
After that enlightening experience, I had an evening of running lines. I met up with 5 of the 6 cast members of my Level 5 show. We went over a lot of the scenes and did all kinds of speed throughs. It was good, I suppose, because there are a lot of people in the cast who don't know their lines as well as I do (the consummate professional, as always). After running lines, we went across the street to Corcorans and got some drinks and some food. We must have spent a couple hours sitting and talking. It was very nice.
After that, I went to Cobblers square and spent another hour or so talkin' to the Big Boss Lady. I basically told her I'm going to be in Chicago for at least another year... and that it's time to take the next big step in our relationship: I'm buying us a dog. I'm kidding. I'm not buying us a dog.
Friday morning looked a lot like Thursday morning. I spent the whole morning on the phone. I called SBC to set up service for the new store on North Ave. Speaking of Coldstone (I can put this anywhere in my blog, because, chances are I'm talking about Coldstone), Andrea called me. The reason I've been having so much trouble ordering stuff is that our bank account is a little light. So she wanted me to make a deposit this afternoon. Three hours later, and I'm done with the deposit and back at my apartment eating lunch.  
The lunch was short lived, as Andrea called again. We've got signs to put up at the new store locations, and she thought that today was the perfect afternoon to do that. Andrea drove me to the new store... for the first time. It's "bigger" than the store on Wells, but it doesn't have as much space for storage. Andrea and I had a "fun time" putting up the 'Coming Soon' sign. I'm not even lying, I loved every second of people constantly asking when it was opening, I loved that weird guy who thought he would help us by telling us where the sign could go and how to put it up, AND especially I loved the dust and stuff that was getting in my eyes while I was in the construction zone. Fun fun fun.
At any rate, about half-way through the day I got this feeling that I should be somewhere safe... that I should be in my apartment, just playing video games and basically hiding from the world. It was a weird feeling, but something I couldn't deny all day. I felt like I should be somewhere hidden all day. It was so odd... and it wasn't like anything happened yesterday that made me think that I should have listened to myself. It was very weird.

No comments: