Tuesday, August 02, 2005

"Is Thems The Thoughts Of Cows?"
The above is a quote from David Sedaris's novel "Me Talk Pretty One Day." I've tried and failed to read this book two times previous, but now I'm trucking through the book and loving it. I think one of the reasons I couldn't get into the book was my disbelief that one could actually publish a book comprised completely of non-fiction, biographical stories. "Why would anyone be interested in something like that?" I wondered to myself. Now, two years into a massive 'writing project' which is exactly that, I've come back to the book with a new sense of appreciation. Sedaris has allowed me into his home, past, and private thoughts with the open, clear view of someone leaving their window wide open... just for me to peek in, if I want to. And I do find myself wanting to... as he makes everything seem so damn interesting. I don't know if he's just lead that kind of amazing life (going from North Carolina, to Chicago, to New York, to France is interesting in and of itself), or if he's just that good as a writer... but it's interesting to see what a good, creative non-fiction writer can do. Would that be a genre I could jump into?... Into which I could jump? (Not with grammar like that, my friend!)

No comments: