Monday, August 08, 2005

Scrimmage/Fireworks
While I am CERTAINLY glad I went to see the Packers/Bills scrimmage Friday night, I don't know if I'd do it again. Here's the scoop. It was announced over the loud-speaker that "this series" would be a Packers kick-off... a Bills side-line only return (no tackling), followed by the Bills starting at the 35 (regardless of where the returner was tackled) and have a minimum of nine plays with the first-team offense against the Packers' first-team defense. Follow that? Good... because after 9 plays the Bills kicked off and the Pack's first-team offense had nine plays against the Bills' first-team defense. They did goal-line situations, they did onside kick situations, they had the coaches standing on the field while they were playing... it was like being in middle school all over again.
What made this trip amazing (besides the fact that I was in Lambeau Field!!! Hooray!), was the fireworks display. After the scrimmage, they turned all the lights off... and 62,000 people sat together in the dark for the minute it took for the display to start. If you've never been with 62,000 other people in the dark, I recommend doing it at least once. The huge crowd was quiet in anticipation of the display... and it was magic. The display was good (I've seen better) but there was something about the place, the music, and the shear amount of people in the stadium that made it the greatest fireworks display I've ever seen. It was awesome.
NCAA Bans American Indian Mascots
I read here that the NCAA has placed a ban on the use of Native American mascots in college football. Saying that this is about time is one of the greatest understatements I've ever made. I've been saying for years that it's ridiculous that we still have names like 'Braves', 'Seminoles', and, the worst, 'Redskins.' I'm happy to see the ban... but I wonder what Illinois mascot will be. I hope they have a naming contest. Get ready for the University of Illinois Fightin' Honkys! Too soon?
I do wonder if something will be said about the appropriateness of the Fightin' Irish mascot... but I'm Irish and don't find it offensive. I love Notre Dame... even though they rejected me. Makes sense, though, as I have often love women who reject me. Even some who reject me for four years at a time.
Football Tonight
Tonight is the Bears/Dolphins Hall Of Fame game from Canton, Ohio. I'm insanely interested in this game, considering it's a pre-season game. Ricky Williams will play tonight for the first time in over a year. I want to see him carry the ball... I want to see how well he'll run... I want to see how hard he's hit. I can't wait. Don't get me wrong, I'm in Ricky's corner... I actually really want him to do well. I hear he might be shopped around... perhaps a trade in the works to get rid of Ricky. I look for him to perhaps stay in Ohio (Cleveland needs a running-back and might be desperate enough to make the trade) (or he could go to Oakland... they'll take anyone). I want to see how Nick Saban coaches in the NFL... and see if he's any good. I'm also very interested to see the Bears play. I will, whether I want to or not, be watching a lot of Bears games this season. It's my hope that they've got some good, young players... to make watching them play interesting. If not, it could be another long football season here in Chicago.
Ty Law lands in New York
I see that Ty Law just got signed by the Jets. Law, a great cornerback even at age 31 (he went to a fine institution [that was for James P]), will more than likely start in place of Ray Mickens--another aging cornerback. I really have nothing much to say about this move, as I could care less about the Jets (sorry Brandon Bartlett Blackburn-Dwyer)... but I hope that Law will mentor second-year man Derrick Strait, whom could eventually be pretty good in this league.
Wayne Gretzky to be the new Coyotes Coach
I saw this morning that "The Great One" is going to be the next coach of the Phoenix Coyotes. I wonder if this will be the same type of result when Magic Johnson tried coaching (where he went 5-11 in '94 in a joke of a coaching move). I understand why Gretzky would want to try coaching, but I don't think he'll make a good coach. I just don't see him as a smart enough man. I see him as someone who had a whole lot of talent and knew how to use his own talent to maximize his own potential. HOWEVER, having said all that, in this new, scoring-happy NHL that the league has created, Gretzky might be able to figure out how to get his scorers to get the most out of the new rules. I'll be interested to see how well the Coyotes do this year (I think it could be better than recent years no matter who coaches, with their off-season additions). In a related story, former ESPN TV announcer Darren Pang has signed to be the Coyotes exclusive TV color analyst. Weird, huh? It's phuking Phoenix... who cares about hockey there?
Osgood Back to Detroit
Chris Osgood just resigned with the Red Wings for a one-year contract. I remember WAY back (sort of) when Osgood was the back-up to Mike Vernon and--like back-up quarterbacks in college football--I thought Osgood could do better. Then Osgood got his chance and lead the Wings to the Cup in '98. I've always liked Osgood and his weird goalie mask... but I can't see him doing anything more than bench-warming. Still, it will be good to have him back... as maybe he'll pull retired Patrick Roy out of the stands and pummel the snot out of him. One can dream.
The NHL Reinstates Todd Bertuzzi
A year-and-a-half after he blindsided Avalanche player Steve Moore, Todd Bertuzzi is back in the NHL today. My guess is that he will remain thugish... and I will remain my vocal hatred of this Neanderthalic player. I'd like to see him try that crap on Stevie Y... and end up out for the rest of the season like Pronger did a few years back (remember that? Pronger went after Yzerman, who ducked, and Pronger ended up blowing an ACL. Hilarious).

No comments: