Tuesday, August 16, 2005

WORLD NEWS 7.2 Earthquake Rocks Northern Japan
I saw in the news today that a major earthquake it Northern Japan, causing landslides and small tsunamis, and injuring around 40 people. I saw some video on the news of a news broadcaster in Japan who was reading the news when the earthquake hit. The video of him showed him sitting, trying to look composed, while he continued to read the news! This is the difference between Japan and the US. If the quake hit the US, the news reporter would have been looking around off camera, as if to say "Hey! Someone ask the producer what's going on!" This guy was reading the news as if saying "If I stop reading the news they'll replace me! I will disgrace myself and my family!" This is why I love to watch the old Iron Chef and know that Iron Chef America will never be as good. On the old Iron Chef, the chefs looked like the the fate of their life rested on the balance of how well their food was received. That's what makes that show so interesting. The American version will never be about more than superficial pride. "I'm better than you are" seems to be a very American motivation... and isn't as interesting as someone who appears to have his entire life on the line.
MUSIC Vanilla Ice... Back Like Montazuma's Revenge
I was watching Cold Pizza this morning when I noticed a dear friend I have long since missed: Mr. Rob Van Winkle. It seems as though Mr. Ice has a new album in stores today. Mmm... I haven't been this excited since V Ice delivered Bi-Polar. That album brought the funk AND the flavor... being both a rock and rap album. Plus, he has wicked tattoos.
In additional music news, 311's new album (Don't Tread On Me) hits stores today. Look for me, the guy without a job or money to speak of, to own it by mid-afternoon. Credit is a wonderful thing. (Update: Purchased it right before the birthday card buying... see below)
FOOTBALL Hines Ward in Camp; Brown and Jones Sign
One of the classiest acts in the NFL (I sound like Jim), Hines Ward, is back in camp in Pittsburgh. Ward, who is a much more elite receiver than he'd let you know, does everything for the Steelers and is considered by most (and rightfully so) as the best blocking wide receiver in the league. Before last season started Ward wanted the Steelers to eventually restructure his contract. The Steelers told him that if he went about his business as usual that they'd take care of him. Ward, always a class act, went through the season without saying a word. Now, as this season approached, Ward waited for the Steelers to take care of him like he said. They continued not to. He said he wasn't going to come into camp until they restructured his contract. They said they wouldn't restructure until he came into camp. So, after a couple of weeks of holding out, Ward is back in camp... like the class act he is. Let's hope that the Steelers actually take care of Ward like they said they were going to.
Additionally from the NFL, Miami's first-round draft pick Ronnie Brown and Tennessee's first-round pick "Pacman" Jones finally just signed with their teams. Brown probably would have easily been the number one back if he had been in camp on time... but, as it is, he'll probably have to fight for the spot with on-again/off-again Ricky Williams. And the man with the lovely monicker "Pacman" has managed to alienate himself from everyone already on the Titans by some comments he made about the veterans (I don't really know what he said).
SPORTS Penguins Sign John LeClair
From the "God bless them, the Penguins are actually trying this year" file, we see that Pittsburgh hockey may well be back this season. Listen to these players: LeClair, Mark Recchi, Sergei Gonchar, Ziggy Palffy, Jocelyn Thibault, and draft pick Sidney Crosby... all picked up since the last time they played (Recchi was signed last season). And, guess who's on the active roster: one Mr. Mario Lemieux. That's right. Seriously, all the Penguins need are a few more good defensemen, and we're talking about a serious playoff contender. That is, as long as these old guys can stay healthy.
PERSONAL Show You My "0" Face
As I was making a grocery shopping list, I dropped my clipboard onto my laptop. The result? The "0" key on my laptop is now hanging on by a limb. Actually typing the above zeros was interesting... as it feels like the key is going to snap off whenever I hit it. Now I'm all upset with myself because I stupidly broke my laptop... and it's not as new looking as it was this morning. *shakes head* So upset with myself.
PERSONAL Movin' On Up
I don't necessarily need a de-lux apartment... but if you could have it levitating in the sky, that'd be pretty sweet. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fact that I called the PPM people today and have an appointment for next Monday to check out some properties in the Lakeview/Lincoln Park area. I talked with someone who sounded around my age, and I think it actually might be pretty fun to check out apartments with her Monday. She seems like she's not going to pressure me... but that might have a lot to do with the fact that I know exactly what I'm looking for, I just need to find it.
FOLLOW-UP Mega M&Ms... Mega price?
I went to CVS to get some birthday cards and such this afternoon and saw those Mega M&Ms the kids are raving about! I decided to pick up a bag just to try them out. The colors are ridiculous: Beige, Teal, Maroon, Gold, Brown, and Blue-Gray. With the beige and the blue-gray, it's like a bag of Civil War candies. Kidding aside, I love the size... but I've noticed that the chocolate in M&Ms have a little too much butter in them. It's odd. The smaller M&Ms are too small to tell... but the larger ones, it is pretty obvious that the chocolate tastes too buttery. They're still good... I'm just saying.
PERSONAL Contrary to Popular Belief I'm Still a Good Person
As I was driving back from birthday card buying, I came across a squirrel crossing the road. I stopped my car quickly (with no one behind me) and allowed the squirrel to safely and obliviously cross. The me from a year ago, the me that was working for She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, might have seriously run over the squirrel. I would have felt so angry at the inconvenience, I might have kept going and just said to myself "If the squirrel doesn't get out of the way, it's his fault if he dies. Not mine." But, even though I was that guy before, I've come back and I'm the nice guy everyone knew and loved sexually. I mean loved. It seems as though a Chicago story about me might as well be named "There and back again: A Steeno story."

No comments: