Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Red Wings Restricted Free Agents
Laura wanted my take on Datsyuk and Zetterberg, both unsigned restricted Free Agents for the Wings. The fact that they're both restricted free agents is huge, in my opinion. As huge as the fact that they're currently on the Wings website roster. Zetterberg will be resigned because they need wingers and, at 24, he'll have plenty of seasons ahead of him. Datsyuk will be resigned because he's the future face of the franchise. Why haven't they been resigned yet? Well, looking at the roster, the Wings can't play a game yet. They still need a couple wingers, a defenseman or two, and hopefully another goalie (just in case). My guess is the Red Wings are spending their time trying to bring people in rather than taking care of their own... but, don't worry, both young, great players will be back this year.
NCAA Football 2006
I got NCAA 06 from GameFly yesterday and I've only just started it, but I like the changes so far. They have a new version of their "Dynasty" mode which is called "Race for the Heisman." In the RftH mode, you start off as a high school player who works out for teams and is offered a scholarship to three schools (or given the opportunity to walk-on). Being me, I decided to be a Running Back and try to make my way onto Notre Dame's team. I had to run the "Oklahoma" drill about five times before I was good enough to get any scholarships from anyone of note, and then walked-on with the Irish. I'm currently about a third of the way through the first season and I already like the idea that I'm done after my player leaves college (his Junior or Senior year). One of the things I didn't like about the Dynasty mode of the past is that, after four seasons, my team consists only of players that the computer created. I lose interested at that point (to be honest, I normally lose interest after two seasons). With the new RftH mode, I can play as Notre Dame for four years and then create a Quarterback who plays for, I don't know, Iowa for four years. Then I'll create a Wide Receiver who won't be good enough to play anywhere but New Mexico or UNLV... each time getting taste enough of the team to be interesting, but not being bogged down under the weight of worrying about whether or not my offensive line will have too many wholes next year. In all honesty, I have no idea if I can control the recruiting in RftH mode... and, if I can't, I'll probably start a Dynasty as someone interesting to me like Northwestern or Northern Illinois.
Quick sidenote: Today marks Madden 2006 day. I look forward to renting it and playing as the Packers and the Lions and the Bears... creating myself as an amazingly talented, Michael Vick-like QB for both the Lions and Bears. I am not biased and I create players purely on actual physical talent. Not buying it? Fine. I'm shallow and want to make myself the greatest player the game has ever seen. But I won't make myself taller! (I regularly created a 6'8" version of myself for NBA Live games in the past until recently, when I realized it was more of a challenge to try to have a 5'10" player with amazing skills... because where do you put someone that short besides the Point? and whom can he realistically cover besides Allen Iverson?)
Moron Notre Dame
As mentioned above, I'm playing through the season as Notre Dame. While I love the school that rejected me, I have to be honest about their BRUTAL schedule. The season begins @ #25 Pitt, then @ #4 Michigan, MSU, @ Washington, @ #16 Purdue, followed by a week off and then #1 (and unstoppable) USC comes to South Bend (I used the USA Today Pre-Season Rankings). Looking at the first six games, no matter how good Charlie Weis is/will be as a coach, he'll be lucky to have the team 1-5 by the time BYU comes to South Bend in late October (They can't BUY a home game in the first two months?! Geez!). With a home game at #3 Tennessee following the BYU game, we'll see how much love Weis gets when ND is 2-6 in mid-November... with no hope of a bowl game in sight. I hope the ND fans will be patient, realize Rome wasn't built in a day (it was built at night [what?!]), and let Weis build the program with a hard-fought, losing season this year. Best case scenario, Weis could have ND 3-3 after the USC game (beating Pitt, MSU, and Washington), but I doubt it. The battle for the megaphone always brings MSUs second-best effort of the season (sometimes best when they lose terribly to Michigan)... the new Ty Willingham Huskies will be hungry to destroy the school/team that didn't give him a fair enough chance... and we'll see whether Dave Wannstedt or Weis make the transition from pros to college better in the Pitt game. Notre Dame could be 0-6 when they play BYU and I wouldn't be surprised. That is a tough schedule for them... and I hope ND fans are prepared for the crap that will come with that schedule.

No comments: