Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Let's fix my predictions!
I'm actually surprised that I got as close as I did with my predictions. I didn't do any of the math... I just put down what I figured would happen. So, now that I've got exactly what the first week of standings are... so let's add some wins:
New York Jets- not 6-10, but 8-8
The Jets get the greatest benefit of my miscalculations. I actually didn't think they would beat Cincinnati, but then Curtis Martin reminded me that he wasn't dead... and the Jets rolled. Pennington continually surprises me with how good he is... as long as he's healthy. Look for the Jets to take second place in the AFC East.
Denver Broncos- not 8-8, but 9-7
I didn't expect Denver to beat KC. But they did... their defense is REALLY good. Why not more wins? Plummer could've easily lost them the game... look for him to lose them at least two games this season that they should win. He's kind of like old Favre that way... but Plummer isn't going to win any games by himself like Favre could/can. Improved defense gets Denver one more win!
Philadelphia Eagles- not 12-4, but 13-3
I guess I underestimated Philly's offense. McNabb to Owens looks like a good combination, even though the Giants are terrible and would make Steeno to Huhtala look like an unbeatable combination (well, Ken would run REALLY fast). Anyway, Philly's Westbrook may be a better running back than I gave him credit... and the defense might not suck hard-core (even though they gave up 100 yards to Tiki Barber... come on!). Anyway... look for Philly to roll over Dallas and New York for four easy wins, but maybe split against Washington (and they'll lose to my Packers in early December).
Green Bay Packers- not 10-6, but 11-5
Who knew the Pack would make Carolina's awesome defense look like chumps? I worry about the Pack "blowing their load" too quickly, giving Ahman Green too many carries early in the season... showing too much of their playbook too early, and letting defenses know exactly what they're going to be doing all year. But that's just because I'm a pessimist. A pessimist picks them to beat Philly in Philly? Last year, my Packers were a better team than Philly TWICE, and still lost both games. It's not going to happen again. The Pack are still the best team in the NFC North.
Arizona Cardinals- not 4-12, but 5-11
Who knew the Cardinals would give St. Louis that much trouble? If the game was in Arizona, the Cards probably could've pulled it out (intangibles!). The Cards will get a win or two before November (when Bolden comes back from injury), and then look for them to string three or four victories together at the end of the season. They'll consider this a good season, as it'll mean they have momentum going into the off-season.

There you have it, sportsfans. I think next year I'm going to go through the schedule game-by-game and do my predictions that way. Then I won't have this math problem. Math is confusing, because I'm a woman. HA! Unless you're Allison, prove me wrong!

No comments: