Thursday, September 09, 2004

See what happens when you can't sleep?
Two years ago, a Wednesday night would have meant staying up late and dealing with loud, obnoxious drunks into the wee hours of the morning. Regardless of my attitude towards drunks and even though I often had a Thursday morning class, Wednesday nights used to mean 'fun' for me and pretty much everyone else. However, this Wednesday night has meant going to bed at 9:30, because I was too tired to do anything else. Then it meant being awakened by a headache that refuses to stop piercing my brain directly behind my right eye. The cause of this headache is multi-faceted but, as it seems to be keeping me awake indefinitely, I might as well go into it. The most pressing matter at hand is an incident at work involving one of the cash drops. Long story short, this drop mysteriously disappeared between the time one of the (very trustworthy) shift leaders dropped into the safe and the time the safe was reopened to do a deposit. Mr. Johnson says that Eric, the shiftleader, is responsible for that drop and will probably have to be "let go". I've got another employee who was there when Eric dropped the money who vouched for his story even before we got the story from Eric... furthermore, this employee (being young) said she'll quit if Eric gets fired. Now... I feel that this is probably the way a lot of the employees will feel: 1.) They're young, some as young as high school age; and 2.) What kind of message is being sent by management if you've got an air-tight story and the money just mysteriously disappears? Apparently it doesn't matter, you'll still be fired. Regardless, my brain is being racked trying to figure out how the money could have possibly disappeared in that time... as only a few people know the code to the top portion of the safe. Additionally, I'm not looking forward to pleading with Mr. Johnson at our meeting tomorrow morning for him to reconsider firing Eric. Eric's a good, hard-working employee and it would be a shame to fire him over this.
But that's not all... I continually find myself upset at Andrea whenever I think about my job versus hers. What was she doing while all this talk of firing Eric was occurring? She was "stuck" in the suburbs without a car. The best part is that it took phone calls from Brian, Adam, and me, plus about two hours to find this information out. She's making herself less and less available, and it's eating more and more into my personal time (because I'm having to pick up the extra slack). This is personal time that could have been spent at the gym (I haven't gone in a month), doing laundry (I still have three loads to do and, wouldn't you know, the pile just keeps growing), going to the grocery store (I haven't gone in over a month... am amazed how many meals can consist of bread and a condiment), writing or re-writing scripts (I've got one due this Friday. I might get into that whole thing another time), catching up with family or friends, or honestly just relaxing... like I forced myself to do this past Saturday. In retrospect, I shouldn't have taken Saturday off as Brian, the manager at Wells, was still in Atlanta visiting family. I guess if there's good news it's that Adam and I got to spend a lot of time hanging out this past week... and that's good because he's a funny guy. Plus I hope to take some time off this weekend, which will be spend watching the first week of football season... and the absolute slaughter that will be the Notre Dame/Michigan game. In addition, I'm telling myself that I'm not going to do anything at work tomorrow (after the meeting, of course) until I get my grocery shopping done.
*sigh* I really wish I could just fall asleep. Do you remember the best sleep of your life? When was it? It's probably as far back as you remember... when you were too young to worry. OR it was a time when you were too exhausted by the day to care. It's interesting that I get older and can be exhausted, yet still manage to find the strength to worry myself out of sleep. I'm sure I'll rest easy knowing that, even though over 1,000 (a thousand!) soldiers have died in Iraq, it's nothing in comparison with all the people I didn't know and care about who died in wars long before I was born (for more info, see Ken's blog). Perhaps the fact that millions of people I don't know or care about half-way around the world are 'free' will ease me through the pain of losing one brother. Sorry Serge, I'm not buying it. Fuck 'em. You come home safe.

No comments: