Saturday, September 04, 2004

Update from August 25-26
Welcome to Wednesday morning... and after a 14 hour day, there was a surprise waiting for me at the new store: no electricity. Yeah... that's right. It was another in the long line of 'hurry up and waits' that have made me feel like I have more in common with Ken then just being pathetic with the ladies.
Once we got power, I made more ice cream. Then Nate, the AD, wanted to run some errands with me, so I gave the ice cream job to Josh and headed out with Nate. We took a trip to Home Depot to get shelving for the store. While there, we got all sorts of tools and supplies for the store. It was kind of fun to go shopping with someone else's money. I suggest trying it sometime. We then went to the Container Store and tried to get more shelving and more supplies. Nate then proceeded to argue with the woman who works at the Container Store about whether or not a certain kind of shelving could be attached directly to a wall. Nate said it could, the woman said the manufacturer doesn't allow for that... and they were both being stupid and stubborn. Whatever... that's Nate.
After we got back to the store, we were all very hungry... so we went to lunch at an Asian cuisine place on North Avenue. I wish I remembered the name, but it was alright, so I'm sure I'll go back there.
While we were at the store, Stephan and Nate did more training. During which, SBC showed up to install yet another phone line at North Avenue. I told the guy that he must've made a mistake, as we already have two lines from SBC. I then called Andrea to see if she ordered another line. She, apparently, had Robert call SBC to put in a "fax only" line. I told her that was overkill, but she thought that we needed a fax line; making three lines at the store. So I told the SBC dude that I had made a mistake. He started to do stuff... and then got to the point where he needed to get behind that gate that has thwarted many a SBC dude. We were actually prepared this time, and had the phone number of the landlord. We called her and she was on her way to open the gate. The SBC dude waited around for a while... and then left saying "I can't wait around any more". Less than five minutes later, the landlord showed up. It's that life? (Hint: yes)
After that whole debacle, I had to take even more boxes back to Wells. Nate and I have been arguing about what should stay and what should go since we brought all those boxes over to North. He said that we can't have all these boxes... and I told him that we're GOING to have all those boxes, deal with it.
After all that loot, Brian, Adam, and I went to Taco Bell. It's been a way of escape for Brian and I. But with Adam there too... there was lots of fun to go around. It was a great break... and if I were the owner of the company, it would've been a business dinner.
After that, Adam and I went to Dave and Busters... to shoot stuff. Shooting stuff is awesome. But we also played a couple of the basketball games, and the football game... so it's like we were exercising! (Buy that?)

Thursday morning started late Wednesday night. I had to print off a whole poo-load of "picture perfect" training cards for the new store. I printed off so many, in fact, that I'm going to need more black ink. Then, when I woke up I went to Kinkos to laminating it all. I find laminating fun... perhaps it's because I'm sadistic. I'm not exactly sure... but I do know there's something satisfying to the permanence of lamination. *sigh* I'm done talking about that... but I spent a while doing it, just so you know.
Then, when I arrived at North Avenue another surprise was waiting for me: no electricity... again. It made me so freakin' mad at the contractors. These idiots are costing us so much time (and time is money) before we could actually open the doors. In addition, there was a training session scheduled for the morning which we had to cancel because of the lack of electricity.
Since the training was cancelled, I ended up having to drive a couple of the ladies back to Wells. First, one girl Jennifer wanted the windows open when I wanted AC. Second, they wanted rap when I wanted 311. I hate it when people mess with shit in my car... but I wanted to make it a pleasant drive for them, so I let them do whatever.
The irony continued as I had to then drive those ladies back to North Avenue. I picked up Adam as well, and we headed towards the new store. On the way, one of the young ladies yelled "I'll suck yo dick!" out my window. This was inappropriate for three reasons: 1.) If anyone's dick is going to be sucked in my car, it's going to be mine; 2.) She had her Coldstone hat on... way to advertise what we do; 3.) She's going to be a missionary (the person, not the position). That's just weird. Don't tell me you're going to be a missionary and then talk about sucking dick... I read the Poisonwood Bible (or some of it), I know what missionaries do... they let their youngest daughter die. That's all! Sheesh!
Then Adam and I went back to Kinkos and printed off some flyers for the grand opening. It didn't take us very long... and it was good to be doing work again with someone I enjoy talking to. That makes work a lot easier.
After this long, crappy day, I gave myself the evening off. I went to Circuit City on the way home and bought myself the Three Days Grace album. I like it already... it kind of reminds me of Silverchair... not complicated guitar parts, but lots of energy. From there, I drove around Best Buy to get to my apartment, and I noticed a line around the store. I then remembered that one of the radio stations I listen to here in Chicago was talking about Linkin Park being at Best Buy sometime this week. And that must've been it. Yeah... one of my favorite bands, Linkin Park, was in the Best Buy I go to all the time. If I had an entire afternoon to waste in line, I would've been there getting something signed. Mmm... Linkin Park.
When I got to my apartment, I started playing Resident Evil, which is a game I rented for GCN through Gamefly. Unfortunately for this game, the camera angles and controls are too complicated for me to get into it. I then played a game I bought on a whim, Prince of Persia. That game is freakin' awesome! It's played like a story being told... so when you die, it says "Wait... that's not how it happened" and you go back a bit in the game and keep playing. It's awesome. I'm sorry... but it's awesome. It's like a post-modern spin on video gaming... you really have to play it to understand. And it's only $20 now. Speaking of $20, I also rented Knights of the Old Republic. This makes me a dork, but it's also a Star Wars RPG... so it makes me a super-huge dork who doesn't get chicks. I have yet to play it, though, so maybe I've got a chance.

The NCAA finally made a decision in the Mike Williams' "case". Mike Williams, the USC wide receiver who followed Clarett trying to get into the NFL draft, was denied re-entry into the NCAA. I believe he's still able to take classes, but he can't play NCAA football again. This is a shame... as Mike Williams wasn't the one to challenge the system (that was Clarett). And Williams is probably good enough to play in the NFL (and not Clarett). Williams seems to be caught in the middle of a NCAA/NFL power-struggle... and he's going to loose a whole year of doing what he loves because of it. It's a shame.

No comments: