Saturday, March 26, 2005

Andrew David and the Sweetness of Pumpkin Pie
Last night, Mr. Andrew David Groggel came to see the writing five show, SPP and Other Niceties. I wanted this performance to be extra good... as the last time I saw Andy, he was dazzling the audience in Cabaret. I wanted to be good because he was so good. I may have started to put a little extra pressure on myself for this performance... but that faded after my warm-up with the director filling in for Joe, Spike. Spike is a very very serious man... so one is almost immediately intimidated. But the two weeks he's filled in for Joe, I've had two of the best acting warm-ups ever. The first week started the "It's your birthday today"... which the whole cast now says before every performance. There is so much love that we share, as a cast, right before we go on stage. I guess that's why last week hit me so hard... when no one wanted to come with me. It feels like we're so close right before we go on stage... and then, after the show is over, we're just actors who act together. Regardless, Spike put me in such a good mood--a good state of mind--that I couldn't help putting my expectations aside. Then the opening scene started... and I love that scene. I play a third grader who is playing a father in a play: and I love that character. And the laughs started right away... the audience seemed bigger than it was because of the loud, hearty laughs coming from the audience. And, by the time we finished "Totally Not Gay," the audience was going to come with us no matter where we went. That's an incredible feeling... and this show went faster than most. It was over before I knew it... but I did specifically take some time to "smell the Rose," as it were, making sure that I recognized where I was and what I was doing during this particular show.
After the show, I went out to see Andy. He seemed to have enjoyed the show... and, at one point while I was thanking people who said that I did a good job and that they really enjoyed the show, I looked at Andy and he gave me a very knowing smile, as he put his arm around my shoulder. We then headed across the street to Corcoran's and shared a couple brews. It was great to see Andy again. He said, during our conversation, that he and I have a very good give-and-take... and I completely agree. I don't think I fully appreciated how good it was until last night (after having taken improv classes and struggling to give-and-take with some pretty talented people). He even said we should have a radio show! Imagine how great an Andy and John show would be! Imagine *shakes fist*!
And I would be remiss if I didn't mention a lengthy conversation SS Kenny Hoots and I had yesterday morning. *In a sing-songy voice* Kenny is in love. Kenny is in love. La la la la laaa la. Heehee.
For you: "There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost... the ship has sailed and only a fool would continue. Truth is... I've always been a fool." Truth is... I've always been a fool, too. We will do what we have to do, Kenny... even from 1,940 miles away.

No comments: