Sunday, March 20, 2005

The Basement
I've been trying to post a picture from my trip to Keith's last night, but 'hello' is being stupid so I don't know when it's going to get posted. It ended up just being Keith, Adam, and I... but we still had a really good time. We started the night by going to Portillo's for food. And, after getting TOTALLY full, it was time to tear it up. We started off simply... a short scene based on the suggestion of a roll of paper towels (we just looked around the room). Then we did my first ever Harold--based on my suggestion of a show centered around sanity. What came out really didn't help my writing process of the show I want to write, but it was probably the best "first Harold" ever... particularly by three people. The Harold is normally done by an improv team... which is rarely less than four. I've actually never seen it done by less than six; but I rarely see the Harold done (it's not a Second City thing). That particular Harold ended magnificently... and I feel like it really turned out to be an interesting piece of theatre. I don't know if it was funny; but theatre doesn't have to be funny, does it? Then we did another Harold based on pizza box that had some pretty funny parts to it... and we finished by doing "three characters/three scenes" based on 'Allergies'. Even the three character/three scenes turned out better than we thought it would... as we started with a scene making Adam the spokeman for a new drug; moved to a scene where the celebrity had changed him for the worst, making him wonder how all this happened; and finished with the "middle" scene chronologically where we see that Keith and I made him change by feeding into his ego. It was so cool... because none of us knew how we were going to end it (or even where it was going) until we were done. And, like Adam mentioned, with only the three of us there and no audience, we could take as much time as we wanted to. We didn't have to worry about it being good... we just did it, and it ended up being good. Very organic... and the reason why we wanted to do this in the first place.

No comments: