Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Best. Mood. Ever. (part II)
Where were we? Remember, we had just finished the Cabaret adjudication in Albion... okay? Now are we all on the same page? Okay... let's go. After the adjudication, I went with Bohne, Jim, Kopec, and Chelsea and hung out in Twin. We just sat around and talked about stuff and laughed and enjoyed the company. It was nice and light... and the mood stayed light, even though I was really interested in getting into what Jim and Mike are really up to now-a-days. Well, you can't have everything. And I can always grill Jennie on what Bohne's up to if that bastard won't just go ahead and spill it.
Oh, and I need to mention this: Chelsea Sadler is hot. Like, ridiculously don't-care-that-she-has-a-boyfriend-I-like-I-still-want-him-to-die hot. There, that should appease her (I don't ever want to fight again, sugar muffins!). But, in all seriousness, having an attractive girl who flirts back with you is always a big ego boost. Can you see how my mood is going from good to better? Yeah... that's right. Attractive women... flirting with me... could only go downhill from there, right? Let's find out... *turns the page of the story book*
After hangin' out and chillin' with my crew for a couple of hours, I went out to see the incomparable Miss Karen Green at the Coffeehouse. The nature of our conversation was deep... and private. Quite private. But I can say that a reconciliation occurred that was a long time coming, and we're both better for it. The time has come, not for moving on, but for moving forward. I'm excited... and I'm ready for it.
Saturday morning I woke up pretty early... to make sure I could get everything done that I needed that day. As per usual, when staying in Bohne's apartment, I ended up waking up first and soon having Kopec join me. We even commented on it this time... every time I stay at Bohne's, Kopec and I are always the first awake. So Kopec and I talked for a bit about what we're up to, and that was nice. Even though, in one way, I want him to die... I really REALLY like Kopec. He's an awesome person who, if we had been in the same class, would have probably been all I needed to want to get involved with community service activities and student government stuff. I would have done a lot of that "good/nice" extra-curricular activity stuff. Instead I ended up being just another apathetic "artist" type who mocks everyone at all times. And so it goes...
I left Albion in a pretty good mood. I had a great conversation in the morning, and was fully ready to tackle anything the day gave me. And, as if someone up there *points skyward* wanted to make sure I would stay happy, it was an absolutely beautiful day for a drive. The sun was shining and everything seemed so light and alive... it was absolutely gorgeous outside.
While I was driving, I got a phone call from Nick. He was upset that I was in town and hadn't seen him. I felt bad, but after promising to come back to Albion in early April to see his show, we were all good. It was good to hear his voice again. *Laura-like squee*
Then I got to Kalamazoo. Since December, I have been hesitant to visit my sister in her current living situation. Karen is with Bob, if you don't know... and theirs is a nice little apartment in KZoo. Bob has a three year-old son, Tanner, whose mother, Crystal, reminds me of Kim. Not the Kim I like... Eminem's Kim. Yeah... that one. She sounds like a real psycho-bitch. And Bob reminds me a little of Em... he's a good father who would be doing a lot better if the mother of his child would just leave him the fuck alone. And I was hesitant to insert myself into the madness that is that whole living situation. But, after hearing how crappy my parents had treated Bob and Tanner the one time they came down to pick my sister up (not even going into the apartment, and being very short with Tanner), I figured it was about time someone in my family supported my sister's decision. Thus, I decided to go into the apartment and meet Tanner and get a tour of the place. It's, like I said, a cute apartment. The whole apartment is built around a central staircase that leads down to the laundry room and storage area. Think a square with a bigger square around it. The smaller square is the basement stairs, and the larger square is the living room, bedrooms, and kitchen.
And then I met Tanner. There is something I do with kids and dogs that is somewhat unique, I think. I talk to them like I talk to my peers. I just go ahead and talk to them. I think children can tell when you talk to them differently... and they can sense the condescension, even if they don't know what it's called or why you're doing it. So, when Karen said "This is Tanner" I responded with "Hey. Howz it goin'?" in my normal way. He showed me a couple of his toys and I was interested in them because, honestly, I still really like toys. And the poop they've got now-a-days is just amazing. He had this remote-controlled car that was just awesome... it flips over and everything! Then, at the top of the stairs he pointed down and said "Gotta get the monsters... pow pow pow!" This is the point when I started to realize how much the improv is paying off. Instead of brushing him off as childish... I was there with him every step of the way. He was imagining monsters? So was I! Karen and Bob remarked that Tanner had never taken to anyone so fast before... and that they thought he was "showing off" for me at one point, by pretending to be hit with something and then falling over dramatically. (Kids are fascinating!) It's no surprise to me. Children and dogs love me... probably because we have the same brain capacity. Or... um... *drools* ugh!
And then, after it seemed like we bonded, it was apparently time to go running. Remember how I mentioned that the apartment was set up like two squares? Well, you could also think of it as a track around a field. Two hallways, the living room, and the top of the stairs created a square track. So Tanner would say "Now it's time to catch... me!" and he would run and giggle; and Bob and I would look at each other and go "okay" and chase him around the square. And then he'd get tired and run to the couch and fall on it. Then he'd say "Now it's time to catch... Daddy!" and Bob and I would exchange looks; and then Bob would run, followed closely by Tanner, followed closely by me (making sure Tanner didn't fall or hurt himself). Then "Now it's time to catch... ME!" Then "Now it's time to catch... Daddy!" And, after... oh... I'd say about 40 times around the apartment (FORTY!), Tanner said "Now it's time to catch... Karen!" and my sister, who had been getting ready to go out was like "okay" and started running around the apartment. And there we were, three adults and a three year-old, running basically in a circle and laughing and laughing. The only thing that prevented me from laughing harder was the fact that I was out of breath from running around the apartment so many times. I guess I took to him pretty quickly, too.
After running and running and running, Karen and I left to have lunch at Chili's. We had a great, fun, conversation that was regularly interrupted by the waitress. And, when I say regularly... I mean it. Anyone who has ever had the misfortune of eating at a restaurant with me knows the thing I do with waitresses... the way I act. It's something I totally learned from my dad, making it his fault and not mine, deflecting all blame that one would want to place on me. Wow, I'm surprised you followed me on that (even if you didn't buy it). I bring this up because we had an especially attractive waitress named Jessica... and what I was doing wasn't "hitting" on her, because it's what I always do, but I'm sure she thought it was flirting at the very least. And Jessica checked on us (get this) at least a DOZEN times during our meal. She actually (get THIS) served our food, left, and came back to check on us after I had taken ONE bite of corn. I had been talking too, but it wasn't more than two minutes before she came back to check on us. It got to the point where my sister and I tried to figure out how to slip the fact that we were siblings and not dating into the conversation with the waitress. It just happened in the conversation, too... the waitress said something like "want dessert?" and Karen and I were both like "hmm... I don't know" and she said "I know it's a tough decision" and I said "We just like to think things through before making big decisions like this. It..." Karen and I "runs in the family." *laugh track* Nothing ever came out of the hitting on Jessica but, like I said before, attractive women flirting equals a good thing.
When I went back to drop Karen off, I went inside to say good-bye to Bob and Tanner. There they were... Bob about ready to vacuum, and Tanner pushing one of those toy vacuums. You know the kind... they have little balls that are encapsulated in a dome and they pop up when you move it back and forth. We ALL had one of those when we were younger, or at least knew someone who had one. Well, the "new" models also light up and make sound when you move them... it was AWESOME! And I was totally into it... and Tanner was like "I'm helping daddy clean!" And he was trying to show Bob how to do it right... so damn cute. After about five minutes of being totally into Tanner's toy vacuum, it was time for me to leave. As I was about to exit, Bob said "Tanner? Say good-bye to John" and Tanner said "Okay. Bye. I love you." And I melted... into a big puddle of John. I didn't know what to say though. For a three year-old, it doesn't hold the same weight that it does if a 24 year-old says it. So I said "Well, thank you very much. It was nice to meet you." I then went about shaking Bob's hand and hugging my sister good-bye. And, as I was opening the door to leave, I turned around to see them all one last time. Bob had picked up Tanner and was holding him. And Tanner said "I love you! Bye!"... there was no place for me to go at this point. I was already a melty puddle... I couldn't get any more melty or puddle-like. So I clutched my heart and said "Oh. I love you"... and I fucking meant it. *shakes head* There is something about the innocence of youth that is so refreshing. If he didn't like me, he would have let me know (I'm sure). Kids don't have tact... they let you know how they feel. And he was letting me know how he felt... *starts to tear up* cute little guy. aww... I need to run to my car before I cry.
After leaving Kalamazoo I got yet another phone call. This phone call was from the irreplaceable, omni-benevolent Miss Chelsey Wagemaker. We had previously had a falling-out of sorts and, without going into details, that was resolved during this phone call. I was reconciling and resolving left and right. I was in such a good mood, someone probably could have called and asked for money and I would have lent it to them! (The time is already up... don't try it)
So, by the time I got a phone call from Ken, I had officially labeled my mood as the "Best. Mood. Ever." He was interested to see why, and I fairly quickly ran through my weekend. We had a fairly good talk, and I'm excited to see him soon!
When I finally got back to Chicago, I was looking forward to a little nap before a night of running lines and, most probably, some form of debauchery. But, I got a call from Bohne because Jennie was in Chicago and was going to see a Second City show at the Black Orchid. So, instead of napping, I called Jennie and made sure she knew how to find the theatre (it's VERY tough to find unless you know what to look for). But I was happy to do it, because I'm happy that Jennie wanted to support the place that I'm trying to make money. ? Um... the place, through which, I am trying to make money. That makes more sense. Okay... moving on.
Saturday night was spent running lines with the Pumpkin Pie crew at Chris's. Chrises-es...? Chris's's? The house of Chris. Right. Regardless, we were together to run lines for the show. And that means that this is the perfect time for...
Gratuitous Kim update! Tonight she wore a "John Deere" hat. I think one of us made a comment that, now in the city it's cool to wear John Deere hats and "hick" clothing (like Carhartt anything); which is ironic because, where I'm from, it just makes you a hick. So to see someone purposefully wear a John Deere hat as a fashion statement and not in support of the company that makes their favorite tractor is just weird to me. But she's still hot. So unbelievably hot. And I have no chance. That's awesome.
After the run of lines, we all decided to call it a night. I went outside and waited with Kim and Rachel for Rachel's husband Ted. I figured I would just make sure that he got there and that Rachel wasn't waiting outside in the dark alone... but she asked me if I wanted a ride. Of course I'll take free transportation over paying for the El... so off we went. I got to sit in the backseat with Kim... a thrill that was short lived when she gave me the body-language equivalent of vomiting on my face. But, regardless, the ride back to my place was pretty sweet. Ted's awesome and knows all about Chicago and "the business" and Rachel's one of those people who's very easy to talk to... so, after we dropped Kim off, the conversation flowed very easily. I even gave them my Coldstone firing story, after being prompted by Rachel to spill it. So, there you have it... two days of the best mood ever. Goodnight.

No comments: