Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Finally Giving Triplette The Props They Deserve
I was going through some old comments today and I came upon a comment from one of the members of Triplette. She told me how hurt she was by something I had posted which was tactless and generally in bad taste. She gave me a good, intelligent verbal beat-down, and I felt terrible... but I figured "Hey, I bet when she saw how much I liked her show, she wasn't as hurt." Then I looked through the rest of the posts during the run of that show, and... nothing. Nothing. I didn't write a single good thing about their show (which I LOVED). I was trying to figure out why I didn't praise them on this blog... why I didn't say a single nice thing about that show... and this is the only thing I could come up with: I'm jealous. Their show was so good, it was tight, it was funny, they did their own music (which sounded awesome) and I was jealous that they were getting more stage time than we were. I think it's hard to allow yourself to believe that there can be people out there who are better than you are at "this" (this being whatever it is that you're doing. Which, in my case, is this 'comedy show thing'). Maybe it's just hard to allow myself to believe it because I'm so egotistical and self-centered. It doesn't matter why it's tough for me, I just need to stop and recognize how good they are.
Having said that, Triplette got more time on stage than my show and they deserved that time. Their show was phenomenal... it included brilliant political pieces and social commentaries. The two that stick out are a scene about a skin-head doing his laundry (which was brilliant), and a scene where they used puppets to make a point about women's self-image on TV and to take a hilarious stab at the "pop" music industry. The show also included the best/funniest character I've ever seen: an elementary school-aged poet who fancies herself a tragic artist but who is actually just a normal kid. That scene is hysterical and I mentioned it to Adam (but didn't post it because I'm an idiotic asshole) that I could watch that scene all day, every day... and it would have taken me a good long while to stop absolutely loving it.
Unfortunately for me, this praise falls under the "too little, too late" category. Which is a shame, as the women of Triplette are insanely talented... and I would have liked to work with them again when I was with a group good enough to be on the same bill as they are. I don't know how else to rectify the situation besides saying that, To Rebecca and the fantastically talented women of Triplette... I'm sorry. I'm deeply sorry for letting my personal insecurities and lack of tact get in the way of giving you the praise you deserve... and I'm very sorry if my stupid comments hurt or offended you in any way. I'm sorry.

No comments: