Saturday, December 25, 2004

Christmas Eve and Christmas
On Christmas Eve, I woke up feeling sick. But more than sick, I woke up feeling guilty. My parents, who do so much for me, weren't even going to put the tree up this year... and my mom worried about getting all the presents wrapped in time ("We'll just put my gifts in a box and I won't even open them" my mom said)... and my mom kept worrying out loud about whether or not the Christmas dinner was going to get done. What elso could I do? I tried to forget about how I felt and I tried to help my parents wherever possible.
I started the day helping with the tree. My dad and I put it up together... and I think all he needed to actually get it done was a little help. He and I then did the lights and the tinsel. I, however, did not do the ornaments. I don't like ornaments. Why don't I like Christmas ornaments? you ask. Well, the ornaments don't mean anything to me. I don't have any memories that connect me to the ornaments. I assume that when I have children and I have ornaments that were given to me by my parents, or my sister... then I'll finally have something that will connect me to the ornaments. In all honesty, I will probably always connect the lights with my childhood... as I used to lie down under the tree and stare up at all the lights in the tree... or at the light dancing on the ceiling. I love Christmas tree lights.
After finishing the tree, I went down into my room and started wrapping the presents. As I was wrapping presents, Karen and Bob showed up. This was a big deal, as it was the first time my parents were meeting Bob. He looked a little nervous, but less nervous talking to me than to my parents. Fortunately for him, there was a huge Packer game yesterday, which meant the whole family would be occupied for four hours in the afternoon. Maybe unfortunately for him, if the Packers were to lose, the whole family would be in a crappy mood for the rest of the day and the next. It's what we do.
Have no fear, the Packers win the division! Quickly on the Packers/ViQueens Game... Donald Driver had one hell of a game. My dad asked around after the game, and none of us actually thought the Packers were going to win this game. It's nothing against my beloved team, but Brett always has really REALLY bad games in Minnesota. But we pulled it out... and, as we were lining up for the Longwell field goal I kept saying "He's automatic from there." That's my new favorite phrase for kickers. I think I'm awesome. Enough football... let's talk about presents!

The loot, the loot, the loot is on fire? Oh crap! Put it out! This joke never gets old! But, anyway, I got some pretty neat stuff for Christmas. I got a couple pairs of jeans and some sweatshirts and t-shirts. But the "big" thing I got was a Robosapian Robot from my dad. It's really neat. I don't know what I'm going to use it for... my dad just thinks he'll keep me company. Aww... my dad. Add this toy to the long line of toys/stuffed animals bought for me and my sister because we could never have a dog. I could have a dog now... but this apartment is too small, and I would feel bad leaving a dog here all day or all night while I'm out. Additionally, I don't know how to take care of a dog... and I would probably end up killing us both. I'm just that good. Or bad, I guess, as this case may be.
Bob had gotten the Pop Culture Trivial Pursuit DVD game from my "parents." That's in quotes because I think my sister bought it for him and pretended it was from my parents. Regardless, after my parents went to bed, Bob, Karen, and I went downstairs and played it. I like it more than regular Trivial Pursuit because you can "steal" the pie pieces from other people, if they don't know the answer to the question and you do. So the first game went very quickly... it only took me about 40 minutes to win. So we decided to play again. That was a BAD idea. We all got very tired half-way through and ended up all having all the pie pieces and going to the center circle... and it took my sister a couple times to answer it correctly. But she did and, after about two hours when it was about three in the morning, she won.

Christmas morning, we had an early dinner so that Bob and Karen could get back to KZoo for a Christmas party they were hosting. The dinner went well... with my parents doing little to make Bob UNcomfortable, and even seeming to be going out of their way to make him feel welcome. But that was it... my time with my sister was over before I knew it... and they were gone. Leaving me and my parents to do whatever we wanted on Christmas evening.
My mom and dad and I then watched Hero. None of us had seen it, but my sister liked it so much that she bought it for my dad for Christmas, thinking he might enjoy it. I REALLY enjoyed it. I loved that movie... the visuals, the script, the action... I really enjoyed it. My mom thought it was weird... and my dad was very quiet about what he thought. But I thought it was good... and I didn't even mind all the reading of the subtitles. It probably would have ruined the movie to have dubbed it.
Then, after watching Hero, my dad and I watched Spider-Man 2. Yes, I finally sat down and watched that movie. I actually refused to see it because, well, Kirsten Dunst looks a lot like someone I know (particularly with the red hair), and I honestly wasn't ready to see her on film over the summer when SM2 came out. I thought it would be too painful to watch. And the fact that Mary Jane Watson is an actress is a great big kick to the nuts, as far as I'm concerned. With pictures of her plastered all over the city, as Parker walks around in the city. Along those same lines, I will probably never see the movie Wimbleton. Her playing tennis hits so close to home it's almost cosmically unfair. Regardless, I finally sat through Spider-Man 2... and it was kind of disappointing. I mean, it was a good super hero movie... but it followed the same major plot points as the first one. Yes, Mary Jane is with someone else. Yes, Peter Parker is the reluctant hero. Oh, Parker's friends have turned on him? How original. I hope the recently announced Spider Man 3 will give me something new to see. Or, at the very least, finally let me see Venom--one of my favorite comic book villains of all time--on screen. I think it's about time we got the story of the symbiote costume, it's bond with Spider-Man... it consuming all of Parker's time... it's bonding with Brock... and the birth of Carnage! Maybe that could be Spider-Man 4... but that story is wicked awesome and would make a great movie. That's all I'm saying. Seriously... the movie freakin' writes itself.

No comments: