Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Rehearsals, rehearsals, rehearsals
I spent all day Sunday at rehearsals. At 11 AM, I was at the Second City rehearsing with Basically Awesome, sans Adam. That show is seriously going to kill me. It seems like Keith and I are the only ones who are really serious about the show. I shouldn't say that... but Keith and I are dedicated. And we think about this show all the time. I know I've got other shows going on, but this one is probably the most important... it's the one I'm most excited about. I'm just very disappointed in the rest of the cast for how busy they are; and how low on their list of priorities this show seems to be.

Quick football news before I move on: Tyrone Willingham to Washington--Good luck to Ty... I always liked him, even though he didn't win every single game ever (which I guess is the only thing that will make ND staff happy), he was doing everything the right way. And I really thought he was a good coach... but maybe not the best recruiter. When he was able to play with Bob Davie's roster, he went 10-1. Once he lost Davie's players, the team started sucking. And, keep in mind, Notre Dame plays the toughest schedule in the nation. Hands down, the nation's toughest schedule... every year. And, even if you don't concede that the teams they play against are any good, all those teams (I'm talking about Navy and Boston College) would KILL to beat Notre Dame. ND is the game they all circle on the schedule every year. Big and very old rivalries there.
In other football news, the college bowl season begins tonight with the New Orleans Bowl. I know how great this game sounds, what with the Mean Green against the Golden Eagles... but don't completely clear your schedules for this game, sports fans. I know how tough the North Texas Mean Green are, as I played a season in the Sun Belt Conference (as the University Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns!), and UNT OWNS that conference. Never fear, kids... any school that gives me Brett Favre is a school that I love. Go Southern Miss! They had a great middle linebacker last year who's now in the pros (Rod Davis... now with the Vikings)... but I hear they have a great outside linebacker who's still at Southern Miss. Let's hope they can stop that Mean Green machine! (I expect to hear that lame phrase a lot)

The Sex Monster: So I started watching this movie on HBO because of the title. The title is awesome... and while it quasi-accurately describes the plot, it IS a little misleading for a movie on HBO. Anyway, I watched it and I was pleasantly surprised by the script. It's quirky and interesting... and it smacks of independent film. In addition, the main character's acting isn't the greatest acting I've ever seen. So I put two and two together and the answer was Mike Binder. He wrote, directed, and starred in this film. Like I said, it does drip a bit of independent film... so don't run out and rent it in the hopes that you'll watch a super-awesome movie. It is an interesting movie, but it seems a little like a movie that someone like myself got a little money to make... and there it is. *shrug* It's weird... but kind of a neat movie.

This morning, I got a phone call from a Miss Sarah Jean out of the blue. It was great to hear from her... and she was taking the 'back roads' from Jackson to KZoo. This reminded me of a story that I don't think I've told here before. Allow me to indulge myself (which is way different from what I normally do here):
Once upon a time, there was a group of young people (and two companions) who wanted to go to Fazzoli's in Jackson, Michigan. But they all lived SO FAR away in Albion, Michigan. They needed a navigator so wise and so true, that their path would not be lead astray. But, unfortunately for the young people (and the two companions), Katie was the aforementioned navigator. Oh Katie! She decided that the young people and companions should take the "back roads" to get to Jackson, Michigan. One of the young people, Randi, was placed in the back seat of a vehicle with one of the companions. On the way to Jackson, Michigan, the navigator in this story-Katie-pointed to a lovely church, complete with lovely green lawn, and full, lush trees and said simply "I would like to get married there." The companion said, "In that tree?" and Randi laughed and laughed. Randi had been worried about being stuck in the back seat with this companion, because he had been seen earlier standing in the middle of the Michigan Avenue intersection, mumbling to himself (something about seeing girls and not knowing what to do). But, with the new-found sense of humor he obviously possessed, Randi felt safe in the backseat and instantly fell in love. The En... Oh... and it took a super long time for the young people (and companions) to reach Jackson, Michigan. Seriously... like forty five minutes or something. It was ridiculous. Now, The end.

Today I also got an email from one of my Second City instructors. I ran into Jen Bills during a break in her etc rehearsal... and we talked briefly. The etc stage is about to put up another review that I hope to see sometime soon. Anyway, I asked her if she thought I was on the right track and, frankly, if she thought I was wasting my time. She sent me back a very interesting email... with lots of things for me to think about. Without disclosing too much, she basically gave me the 'artist' answer, that I should be doing this for myself. I'm going to make sure to write her back to thank her... it was awesome of her to take that much time to write me back. But I basically have to figure out if this is worth it all by myself... which is what I both figured and feared.

Finally, tonight, I would like to talk about Ken's "snow day" email. Yes, Ken emailed me with the title being 'snow day'. He then hinted at what that meant. But, since you're not as brilliant as I... I'll spell it out for you, dear reader. This means that Ken is on his way home! I don't know where in the world he is... he could be anywhere with snow and internet access. But, regardless, WHAT A RELIEF to know that he'll be back stateside SOON... very soon. Again, it looks like I won't be able to actually see him until February at the earliest... but his return is still good news.

No comments: