Wednesday, December 15, 2004

F--king Zombies
I woke myself up from a dream at eight o'clock this morning. I was dreaming about zombies, again. I honestly don't know what's up with that... this is the second or third zombie dream that I can remember in recent months. Furthermore, zombies seem to be the only "classic horror monster" I really dream about. No vampires, werewolves, or Frankenstein's monster monsters for me, thank you... I'll stick with the walking dead.
So I started thinking about why this could be. Why would I dream about zombies? and why would it, like this morning, scare me enough to want to wake myself up?
Did you know that zombie movies gained popularity during the red scare because American movie-goers viewed the Russians as zombies, mindlessly following communism and it's ideals? Oh, you did? Well, I thought it was interesting. (Quick sidenote: That's also when the "body snatcher" movies gained popularity, for the same reason)
My point, dear reader, is that I, too, could be afraid of the same thing. Not communism, but rather of becoming a mindless follower. Hell, a mindless follower of capitalism, or some "American" ideals. Perhaps this is my subconscious warning me away from the type of job I spent the last year doing: Warning me against the type of people I dealt with in that job. Instead of brains, they lust only for more money. But they will try to find the biggest brains and surround themselves with them, in the effort to make more money. Perhaps these dreams are my creative side screaming out for me to stay creative... and not just mindlessly follow everyone else.
Or maybe I'm really afraid of getting my brain eaten. Either way.

Just so you know... I went back to sleep and dreamed about sharing a huge plate of chicken wings with Ken. I know it doesn't make sense... but it's going to be a lot easier to share chicken wings with him now than it was a couple weeks ago. Hooray for Homecomings!

No comments: