Friday, January 07, 2005

Basically Awesome is basically awful!
As some of you might remember, last Sunday was the opening night for my Basically Awesome show. Additionally, we had a critic from the Chicago Reader come and, well, do her critique thing. Today, the review came out in the Reader. The review is as follows:
"The second show on the bill, Basically Awesome, is basically awful. Poking crude fun at easy targets like evangelists and corporate honchos, Day in the Life Theatre Ensemble is simply dull. The one high point is a punk rocker singing lyrics that all come from Dr. Seuss. - Jennifer Vanasco"
This was what I woke up to this morning. I went over to Adam's to have him help me with the Freedentify posters (see last Wednesday's post). On my way to Adam's, I got him and his roommates doughnuts, as a thank you to Adam for helping me with the posters. Then I picked up two copies of the Reader on my way to Adam's apartment. I read Adam and his roommates the review... and got different responses. Adam thinks we should strive to be either the best or the worst... as everything else is too mediocre to mention. Chip thinks that this is great for us... we have no place to go but up. I found it very hard to find the silver lining in this whole thing. I honestly think she has some good points... but what can we do about it now? We can't change the show... we just have to keep going with the shit that is our show. *shakes head* My first ever review is a huge slap to the face. And, just so you know, getting slapped hurts.

#9 Best of 2004: XSport Membership/Thad First of all, if you had told me at the end of 2003 that in the next year I would have had a gym membership and that I would spend three months of the year weight training, I probably would have died laughing. Or at least said "yeah, right. THAT'S going to happen!" But it did happen in 2004. Weight training is something that I always wanted to get into... but didn't know how to approach. And now I know. The important stuff Thad taught me I will probably never forget... and I'll never forget how positive and supportive he was, either. He went above and beyond a personal trainer, as far as I'm concerned. And it was easy for me to understand how actors/actresses can lose weight so quickly, and look so good for so long. A good personal trainer means EVERYTHING... and if I had an infinite amount of money, I'd still be training with Thad. I gained so much confidence during those months... I just wish I would have kept at it. 2005 is a whole new ballgame, and Thad certainly gave me all the tools I will need to keep going. Thank you Thad, wherever you are.

No comments: