Friday, January 28, 2005

MacGyver: Asexual pedophile? Or is that just my one wish?
This morning, I watched one of the people on my conservatory class, Courtney Boxwell, on the ABC 7 news. They were doing a "girlfriends" segment (no joke) and Courtney owns a jewelry store in Chicago called "Create." The news story on the ABC 7 website is here. Basically, you go there and they help you create your own necklaces, earrings, or bracelets. It's a bead kind of thing... but anyone can 'uniquify' their own pieces to match whatever outfit/dress they've got on. I'm sure that kind of store is a good idea... the problem will be getting the word out that the store even exists. That's why this morning was so important to Courtney, I'm sure. Regardless of the store, it was personally a thrill to sit and watch someone and say "I know her! I was at a bar with her *looks at watch* 12 hours ago!" I'm almost famous.

Tonight was week four of Mankind, and I decided to not watch this week. I think it had more to do with the fact that I have problems letting go than anything with the actual show itself. I do, in fact, have problems letting go of my writing. I have a huge problem with other people acting in my writing... unless they're absolutely brilliant all the time. So, I figured this would be good for me, this not watching thing. As the actors were about to take the stage, one of the other writers, Chris, said "hey man, you gonna go watch?" And, since it's so hard for me to let go... I was like "yeah, I guess." As I got to the backstage area, to head through to the audience... the lights dimmed for everyone to get to their seats. I didn't feel like I had enough time to get all the way to a seat, so I decided to stand right where I was until I could figure something else out. And, as the song started, one of the actors, Sean, started talking to me. Then he had to go on stage and I started talking to another actor, Nick. And, as it turns out, I spent the entire show backstage... talking to actors, listening to the show, helping with some props... it was actually a WHOLE lot of fun. And, even though I was unable to "let go", I let the show look the way it was going to look and I just had a good time being around a show while it was being performed. Now that I think about it, that might have been the first time I was backstage for a show I wasn't acting in. I wouldn't want to DO that as what I do, but it was fun to be able to do it once. See what the actors do while they're concentrating on the show... very interesting.

For some reason, only half-way through season one of MacGyver, the writers added Dana Elcar's character, Pete Thornton, AND moved Mac from the planetarium where he lived in in the Pilot episode, to a beach-front apartment in Venice Beach, Cali, on top of a Coney Island hot dog restaurant. Then, later in the first season, they move him again (to a place they never show... he just packs his stuff up and says that he's moving, and they never show him at home for the rest of the season)! WTFuck? And he KEEPS kissing women! I don't remember that from this show AT ALL! I remember MacGyver as asexual... and a little too interested in helping children. But, apparently, MacGyver gets all the ladies. Including Russian women who look like they're really old, but he still hits on for some reason. And the particular Russian woman to which I refer wouldn't trust him until he kissed her... and I almost puked. Could we force this kiss any MORE? A few times in this season they used the "for luck" excuse for the kiss... just so forced. *shakes head* But, for some reason, I am finally learning a lot about the evolution of writing for a series. Learning is what it's all about, kids. Ooo! And watching MacGyver... that's also what it's about.

#2 Best of 2004 - Crazy Hits Vegas! Yes, kids... the news item that topped last year's list has moved down a spot this year. It's not because this year's trip to Vegas wasn't special... it was! I actually had a tough decision as to whether this would be #1 or #2, but it just got edged out in the end. This trip was the first time I've ever taken a plane by myself! Highlights included: Ken and I going to the Hoover Dam, and someone who worked there making me feel like an idiot when I asked what the difference between the red, white, and blue was (they're all different levels of tours you can take at the bridge), and the worker there said they were all "different colors"; We saw the Second City show in Las Vegas; We shot stuff; We played football on an Air Force base... with planes taking off and landing what seemed like right next to us; We saw women who were most certainly high-level prostitutes... and I felt funny; We tried to figure out which gifts certain computer generated women would like so that they would play volleyball better; We went to Red Lobster and I taught Ken how to eat seafood proper; Ken learned me about IMAX movies; and, most importantly, we shot stuff. It was a fabulous vacation... and further solidified my belief that Ken and I could probably spend weeks at a time doing nothing and loving it, or forcing each other to go out and loving that. What an odd relationship we have... all this love, yet I hate the short bastard. Ehh... such is life. Starting tomorrow... the number ones!!! I know you're totally excited (or bored with the lists by now)!

No comments: