Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Jeff Thomason gets his chance
Well, technically, Jeff Thomason gets his third chance. He was a tight-end on both of the Packers teams that went to the Super Bowl in the 90s. But, this week, he was called by the Philadelphia Eagles and asked to play in the Super Bowl. One of the Eagles tight ends, Chad Lewis (remember when he used to make the Pro Bowl? Seems like a long time ago), injured himself and the Eagles were allowed to add another tight end to their Super Bowl roster. Thomason seemed like the obvious choice, as he has been on the Eagles the past few seasons... but was retired and working construction when he got the call from the Eagles. The football related question asked by every football show I've seen seems to be this: Who would you rather have--Jeff Thomason or Shannon Sharpe, a three-time SB winner with the Broncos and Ravens, who has been working for CBS this season and who has expressed interest in playing if the Eagles asked him to? So, I ask myself, who would I rather have: Thomason or Sharpe? Shannon Sharpe is, arguably, the best pass-catching tight end to ever play the game (yes, I remember Ozzie Newsome... I said arguably!). But, unlike his brother Sterling who was a receiver for the Packers who I LOVED on NFL Countdown, I HATE listening to Shannon talk. Think Michael Irvin with a slightly deeper, dumber sounding (if that's possible) voice. They both basically say the same things, and they like flashy players that call attention to themselves rather than the team. This makes them both assholes. Don't question it, it is simply the truth. In addition, you can't ask a future hall of famer to go on special teams... well, I shouldn't say that, but you can't ask THIS future hall of famer to get dirty on special teams. He simply won't stand for it. Okay, so one Eagles' option is a future hall-of-famer who hasn't played all year, who sat in a chair and talked to a camera during that time, and who will talk trash the entire week leading up the the big game. The other Eagles' option is Jeff Thomason. No where near the skill that Shannon has at catching the ball, but he knows the Eagles' offense better... and certainly knows Andy Reid (who was also his coach when he was with the Packers). You won't get any trash talk from Thomason... he'll just simply be a guy who's "happy to be here." Thomason's also more likely to play special teams, and do some real dirty work during the games... working construction seems to humble you to the NFL experience, I'd imagine. He'll block like he's never blocked before... because this is it for him: there's no hall of fame in Jeff Thomason's future. So, option two for the Eagles is the less skilled, future construction worker who has spent the past year outside using his body to work, who won't talk any trash at all, and who will be humble enough to do whatever the coach asks him to do. Advantage: Jeff Thomason.

Hey, Tom Brady! Nice hair.

From the "You've got to be FUCKING KIDDING ME" file, it looks like the conservative Christians are attacking another "gay" television icon. The target? SpongeBob SquarePants. Oh, it's about time! I mean, seriously, how long can we, as a society, stand someone who enjoys going to work, likes dancing, and is loyal to friends (even if the friends hate him [Squidward])? Let's keep our kids away from this certain threat to the straight-person way of life! (You know what I mean... people who hate work, don't dance in public, and would sell their best friends for the right price. Gooooooo straight people!) Okay, okay... seriously, the problem that the conservative Christians have with SpongeBob is that he will be appearing in a music video about to be sent to 61,000 schools. The music video's focus: encouraging tolerance and diversity. The irony is not lost on me. Is it lost on you? Good. You're smart. AND attractive. Apparently there's a gene pool. Why didn't you come? You weren't operating? (those were the lines of the, now famous, Alexander Theodore Carroll in "Going In")

#2 Best Post of 2004 - 2004, An Evolution in Blognology! This is not a particular post, so perhaps it isn't fair to be on the list, or so high on the list. But, 2004 brought about HUGE changes to this blog: the look, the feel, the touch, of cotton. What? I don't know. But I completely changed the look of the site in 2004; I added a comments section; I added the sitemeter; I've added pictures (at times)... and, in all honesty, if I didn't point out that all that stuff happened in the past year, you probably wouldn't have remembered how different this page looked when I started. I almost can't even remember what it looked like before all the changes (almost = can't) (you "can't can't even remember"?) (shut up). But, when I think about it, I find it difficult to believe that my blog could have changed so much in the past year... I also find it difficult to believe I'm still even doing it. Perseverance was only one of my stronger points... with the ladies at least. I'm consistent, you've GOTTA give me that. Irrigation... I mean regardless, 2004 was a year when the whole feeling of the site and the posts on it changed drastically. That's why this is up at number two. It's the evolution, baby.

No comments: