Friday, July 29, 2005

Historical Landmarks... That's The Chicago Way!
I have some interesting (at least to me) news that I just found out this morning. I was looking in the NFT Guide to Chicago today when I found a little interesting factoid (definition #2). It seems as though my friend Adam lives basically right next to the building that used to be Elliot Ness's "Untouchable" headquarters. I've been down there dozens of times (was even there this past weekend) and I never thought it was all that historically important an area. Yeah, with a name like "Printer's Row" I figured it was a good place to look for books... but I never thought anything exciting had happened there. The NFT Guide even says that Ness had Capone sent to prison from the Dearborn Train Station... which is still standing today. I've SEEN it. I think it's either been converted into a Bar Louie, or it's right next to one (upon doing research, the bar is IN the old train station. Don't believe me? Check this out). Wow! The Untouchables... right at my fingertips! Now you can see why that movie is on my Amazon.com wishlist, huh? Send one of his to the morgue, indeed!

No comments: