Monday, July 25, 2005

See You At The Crossroads
Well, it looks like I've finally got people commenting again! And all it took was making outrageous claims with absolutely no basis in facts and with a very limited base of empirical evidence. But horse riding isn't a sport... I don't care what anyone says. You might have to have some athletic skill to do it, but I've seen (parts of) Seabiscuit... not impressed. Plus, Randi is short. So there.
This weekend I headed out to Keith's to mess around in the Basement. He, Adam, and I talked big plans, upcoming shows, and what we've been up to over the past month or two. We later headed out to downtown Naperville to check out this theatre that Keith thinks we could get some major stagetime in: the Crossroads Theatre. This is in a fabulous part of that town and NO ONE knows about it. There seems to be a great opportunity here for us to get into a theatre and really do something new and exciting in that area.
Miami Dolphins
There's a Miami Dolphins press conference on ESPNews as we speak. Apparently, Ricky Williams has reported to Dolphins camp after his year of losing weight, smoking weed, and wasting his money. If I was Nick Saban, would I take Ricky back? Yes. But Williams would be my second back. I would tell everyone on the team that Ronny Brown would be the starting tail-back, and that Williams was going to be the back-up. There are so many injuries in football that I don't think you can toss Williams away, especially when you could get some production out of him in a back-up roll. And, with Williams as a back-up, none of his teammates will think of him as being there to try to save the team or trying to carry the team... Saban can just get whatever he can out of him without a lot of pressure. However, if teams want to trade for Williams, I would start looking around at what you could get for him. I doubt any team wants him... but you never know.
Lego Star Wars
I rented Lego Star Wars from GameFly and just started it yesterday. It is a very VERY easy game, but there is enough interesting stuff in it--enough things hidden for one to find--that I would probably recommend it. There's a co-operative element to the game, which is pretty sweet, and I think the game is easy enough (the controls easy enough) that almost anyone can play it. Additionally, because the graphics are all Lego based (and are therefore "simple"), the game can be quite long: You can play through Episodes I-III. It's a cute little game, which Star Wars fans will forgive for being quite easy.
Chicago Heat
I just heard on the news that three people in the Chicago area died yesterday and it may have been due to the heat. Yesterday was terrible here. I felt miserable from the heat, and I spent much of the day in my apartment in the air conditioning. Even though the air conditioning was on, I still felt hot most of the day (some times in the day even thinking to myself "I should turn on the air conditioning" only to realize it was already on).
Wal-Mart Drops Singles Night
Apparently a Wal-Mart in Virginia--always innovative in new ways to show how trashy it's shoppers are--has dropped the brilliance that was "Singles Night." Well, being the investigative reporter that I am, I decided to get to the bottom of this myself. I went to my local Wal-Mart to see what I could find out. I talked with one of the employees there, a Mr. Martin Stevenson. He said "They don't know I'm talking to you. Listen," and then he got closer and began to whisper, "they're genetically engineering us to make us all asexual so that they'll never have to hire another woman! Oh no, I've been spotted!" He left very quickly. Unsatisfied with my first interview, I decided to head right to the source and see if I could interview a shopper. I was able to catch up to a thirty-something woman who was shopping. I asked her if she was upset by the canceling of Singles Night. All she would respond was "Always low prices. Always low prices." She continued to grab things from the shelves and put them in her cart. When I tried to get ahead of her, she grabbed my pen and put it into her cart. Unable to keep interviewing, I decided that the answer was simple: No one in Wal-Mart is paying attention to anyone else. They're all just trying to get the shopping done so that they can pass the empty shells of buildings that used to house the "mom and pop" grocery stores while sticking their middle-fingers out at anyone who might still be trapped in those decaying stores. Busy busy.

No comments: