Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Miscellaneous Updates from June!
I'm going to start with a little review of a movie I call Ocean's Twelve. I include this here because I watched it with my family while I was home after England... and because I feel the need to warn everyone against watching this movie. For those of you who have seen this movie, you know what I'm talking about. For those of you who haven't seen this movie, it includes the WORST plot "twist" of ALL TIME! Throughout most of the beginning of the movie and into the middle of the movie... I was with it. It is clever and fun just like the first. THEN--and I'm including this spoiler because I seriously don't want anyone who hasn't seen this movie to waste their time--the writers fell in love with themselves. They thought they were SO clever that they could get away with anything. What am I talking about? About half-way through the movie, Matt Damon's character, Linus, suggests that Julia Roberts's character, Tess, looks a lot like a celebrity. This was a perfect opportunity for the writers to take a shot at Hollywood and make Julia Roberts pretend to be, oh I don't know, Julianne Moore or someone even more clever. But no. Do you know what they did? Do you KNOW what they DID? They had Julia Roberts's character, Tess, pretend to be... Julia Roberts. Um, what? How lazy... how unoriginal... how in love with the writer's own cleverness is THAT?! I didn't find that part funny or clever... that part of the movie took me right out of the movie. And I never got back into it. I was done with the movie 3/4 in... and 3/4 of a movie is not a movie worth wasting your money or time watching. Stay away from this movie like the plague!
What you should do with all that extra time is watch a little CNBC show that I like to call Mad Money with Jim Cramer. If you've never seen a grown man absolutely screaming about stocks on the most inexpensive set money can buy... you really owe it to yourself to watch the show for about two minutes. I won't blame you if you can't stand more that two minutes... but watch for two minutes and you'll have a new appreciation for my relatively harmless madness. I, personally, love the show... even though I don't much care for the stock market.
Now, let's look at some articles, shall we?:
June 4th
I found this link to some funny Credit Card pranks on Erik Love's blog (which you should all check out! Link to the right!). Check out prank pages One and Two. A man one day noticed that no one was checking his signature when he signed his name on credit card receipts. See how far he went to be creative enough to get someone to notice. These two pages are hilarious... and it's well worth reading everything and looking at every picture. Do it!
Oh! Only in Chicago can a marathon be too long without anyone noticing. Chicago apparently set a record for marathon length... on accident, as the route was a full mile too long. Nice, huh?
I, personally, am not going to live as long as an optimist will. That makes me depressed. There's an article about how depressed people are more likely to die earlier than someone who, I don't know, has life easy. I hate those people. I think we depressed people should unite and make sure we kill all the happy people before they outlive us. How happy are they now? Ah ha ha ha!!!
June 5th
Here's an amazing picture of a SciFi Tie Fighter Mod. Is it a Tie Fighter? or is it a desk?! The world may never know!
June 6th
And, for anyone who has experienced Jet-Lag before, there's the science!
Speaking of science, here are two fabulous studies that show young, British girls want to eat healthy and be whores... I mean, models. Perhaps those two things are more closely related than I think... but I just found it odd that both these studies came out right around the same time. I also find it funny that the British think we care what they think. Go back to Africa, British! Wait...
June 8th
This story is amazing to me. Scientists have found Ice Volcanoes on Saturn's moon, Titan. They're like normal volcanoes except, instead of molten lava... they shoot the complete opposite. Yeah.
And now, in the spirit of what Sesame Street is doing to Cookie Monster, McDonalds now looks to change Ronald's image. Someone needs to say this because it always comes up: Where are the parents? Is it MacDonald's responsibility to tell children to stop being so damn fat? No! It's not! Ronald was created to sell MacDonald's crappy food. He's doing that... it's ridiculous that they feel any pressure to have Ronald do anything besides sell crappy food. Geez!
Hey! Take the Celebrity's Real Names Quiz!

No comments: